New Here - Maverick's Journey

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
VizslaJess

Re: New Here - Maverick's Journey

Post by VizslaJess » 23 Jul 2021, 14:10

Hello Jean,

We are currently using Pan-tenex for enzymes. I don't see this mentioned here much, so I'm not sure if that means it is good or bad. Or if the quantities mentioned (3/4 tsp per 1 c. canned) is the same since this one states it's 10x, and the Pancreatin is 6x and 8x.

https://www.pantenexdogenzymes.com/

I will definitely check out the b12 you linked. I don't believe the one we are using mentions intrinsic factor as the Wonderlabs does.

Also, the carrot test is a great idea!

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 23 Jul 2021, 15:13

I have used both Pantenex and Enzyme Diane 8x. The Pantenex is a good enzyme and so are the Enzyme Diane products. The usage rate is the same...1 tsp per cup of dry food and 3/4 tsp per cup of wet food. After everything has stabilized, you can always adjust up or down a little as needed.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Jul 2021, 11:27

Hey Jess, the only PPP complete essentials I can find are turkey and rice and chicken and rice on Chewy. Will you email me the can cover and nutrient content?
I am glad the food is working. Just per chance are you figuring the % fiber on a dry weight matter? I just don't want to miss the SID culprit!
Thanks!

Jill

jill.epi4dogs@gmail.com
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

VizslaJess

Post by VizslaJess » 24 Jul 2021, 21:57

Hello Jill,

Yes I can send you some pics of the can showing ingredients and content. I very much appreciate the help. Email coming up shortly!

-Jess

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Jul 2021, 04:45

can you post those pictures to the forum

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

VizslaJess

Post by VizslaJess » 26 Jul 2021, 14:30

Hello Jean,

Jill was able to help me understand what I was reading on the label. I did not realize that you removed the moisture content and the fiber was the % of the remaining non-moisture content, and not what it reads on the can. This is the canned food Mav is currently eating: https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-s ... /dp/182282
and from what I now know is at 6.8% fiber and not 1.5% which is the max listed on the can.

Back to the drawing board for finding a food this guy will eat (non-kibble, he won't touch it generally), that is less than 4% fiber.

This weekend he seemed to be doing a bit better with the reflux. I've been giving him Pepcid when I start incubating his enzymes. The 15 - 20 mins time for Pepcid to start working before he eats does seem to help, so we'll keep doing that for now.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Jul 2021, 16:35

Crave chicken pate (amazon) says on the can it has 1% crude fiber, but I don't know how to do Jill's math. It is grain-free. I feed it to my little dog with IBS. Turkey, too. All my dogs love it. Fromm is good for finicky eaters, too. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

VizslaJess

Post by VizslaJess » 26 Jul 2021, 16:40

Hello Pam,

That is actually one of the options I've found so far, Crave. It looks like their turkey, chicken, and beef are all 1% which brings it out to just over 4%, and seems lower than most others out there.

Fromm makes good food but unfortunately Maverick would not eat the varieties we've tried so far. My non EPI girls loved it, he just likes to be difficult.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Jul 2021, 16:46

Here is Dry Weight Matter(DWM) information and how to calculate the nutrient content. You first have to take the moisture out of the equation.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing ... ter-basis/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 27 Jul 2021, 05:33

sorry I have not been around, but you have had good advice, and links which will answer your questions
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx