New Here - Maverick's Journey

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Johnnycake
State: Texas
Pet name: Johnny
My name: MacKenzie

Re: New Here - Maverick's Journey

Post by Johnnycake » 02 Aug 2021, 15:45

I think we are in the minority but Johnny's lingering poop and gas issues were resolved by switching him to a food that contained grains. He also does much much better on foods containing novel proteins (i.e. he does terrible with chicken or salmon but great with venison or lamb).

It took about five months of trying food after food but eventually we found one that worked! I'm sure you will too! To help with finickiness, have you tried canned green tripe? Johnny loooves it and he has no issues digesting it. Solid Gold makes a great canned tripe food (I think it's called green cow or something along those lines). Cottage cheese is also one of my go-to's when he's being a bit pickier, or using bone broth to incubate the enzymes instead of plain water.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New Here - Maverick's Journey

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Aug 2021, 16:25

Only responding to your first sentence---

You may be in the minority, but you are right to try things until you find what works! It's all about the poop & tummy. Good for you!

You might want to create a signature so folks can see exactly what you're doing.

ANNNND, if things take a turn, maybe try mixing a high quality grain-free food with her current food.

---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.