New EPI Diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Re: New EPI Diagnosis

Post by Jane&Clyde » 25 Jul 2021, 17:45

Please, please, please do NOT give Bailey Metro. It destroys all bacteria in the gut, good and bad. It also has LOTS of possible negative side effects including neurological problems. Someone who knows more than I do can link research on this site that you could show your vet.

A quick question...are you giving Bailey anything to eat at all between meals...treats, bones, etc.? He shouldn't have any treats, etc. at this point. Everything Bailey consumes must have enzymes with it, at least until everything stabilizes. After everything stabilizes, some dogs can handle a little bit of treats, but others cannot unless they are prepared with enzymes.

aj6153
State: Florida
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Alice

Post by aj6153 » 25 Jul 2021, 18:12

Hi Jane,

Thanks for letting me know about the Metro. You confirmed what I was thinking. We’ll make some other changes and see. Bailey doesn’t eat anything between meals. The only time he gets anything that doesn’t have enzymes on it is if it is directly after the meal that has been treated with enzymes. He will get a Kong with a little of his kibble in it when I leave the house but always has food treated with enzymes first. Im looking for a non food option to use when I leave.

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 25 Jul 2021, 18:42

Hi Alice,

Great job on the treats! At least we know that treats aren't part of the problem.

Personal opinion, but based on what I have learned on this site, is that if you haven't already done so, the first thing I would do is increase the enzymes to 1 tsp per cup of dry food and 3/4 tsp per cup of wet food. This might make a significant difference.

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Jul 2021, 16:41

I hate METRO! My vet gave it to my little girl with IBS, it worked great when she was on it, but now she's a bigger mess than before.

My pups love peanut butter-flavored Nylabones as a non-food treat. I sometimes use white tail deer antlers, too, but they have no flavor. Not everybody here agrees with those choices, but they have not caused any problems here. (hate that they ingest a bit of plastic from the Nylbones, but they love them). ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 26 Jul 2021, 16:43

Hi Jane,

I increased the enzymes and I’m going to see how that goes. Fingers crossed it makes a big difference. If he doesn’t improve our next step would be endoscopy and I really want to try to avoid putting him through that if possible.

I’m so glad I found this forum and have people who have been through this to bounce things off of. Thank you all so much!

Alice

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 26 Jul 2021, 19:30

Hi Pam,

I’m glad I didn’t try the metro. Increasing the enzymes seems to have helped. Bailey only pooped once today. Still a little soft but better than it was. I tried him with 1/4 tsp slippery elm today 🤞

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Jul 2021, 20:05

Alice, When you say soft, how soft? Have you seen the proverbial epi4dogs poop chart? Brace yourself. It's graphic.

https://epi4dogs.com/poop-chart/

I would stick with the slippery elm for a few days, and if things keep improving you can slowly add a portion of a capsule of a high quality probiotic like Proviable. It takes me about a week to get Tucker up to the whole capsule. You have to go slowly, or they can get diarrhea.

Maybe you won't need Tylan (good antibiotic).

One poop all day??? How lucky are you!? Bailey looks a lot like my old dog, Scout. Don't tell Tucker, but Scout was the best dog ever. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 26 Jul 2021, 20:13

I'm so glad to hear that things are improving! Don't be upset if you don't get that perfect poop right away. Sometimes it takes a while for things to stabilize. If you don't get a solid poop within a week or two, there are still some things that you could try to see if they help firm up the stools.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 27 Jul 2021, 00:06

Hi Pam & Jane,

I may have spoken too soon…two more poops this evening. It looks like he’s a 4 on the poop chart. I’ll give the slippery elm some more time. I gave him another 1/4 teaspoon with his evening meal so 1/2 tsp total today. Should I give less? Do you think that’s too much?

It’s a big comfort to be able to talk to others who are going through this too.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 27 Jul 2021, 00:08

BTW Pam,

I may be slightly prejudiced but I think Bailey is the best dog ever 😉(but I tell Bo the same thing!)