New EPI Diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Re: New EPI Diagnosis

Post by Jane&Clyde » 03 Aug 2021, 15:16

My first suggestion would be not to put food in the kong. You really shouldn't be giving Bailey anything outside of his regular meals, at least not until he is stabilized. That being said, if you are going to do it, I would probably give him enough enzymes with his meal for both the meal and for whatever is in the kong or at least give him a bit extra. If Bailey consumes everything within about an hour of his meal, things might be ok. Another option might be to smear the inside of his kong with a very small amount of something yummy like peanut butter instead of filling it with kibble.

aj6153
State: Florida
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Alice

Post by aj6153 » 03 Aug 2021, 15:28

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the input! I could try peanut butter and see how that goes. Maybe I could smear it inside the kong and freeze it. It’s been tough because he’s so used to getting a food treat when I leave and having to watch out for Bo also is a challenge. Bo is a typical Lab and loves to eat anything and everything! My order of Sport Dog should be here tomorrow. I’m hoping it will make a big difference for Bailey!

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Aug 2021, 16:25

Alice, don't forget to introduce the new food gradually. Maybe 1/2 & 1/2 old food + Sport Dog for a couple of days. Hope Bailey likes it, and that he does well on it. Tucker's been eating it off & on for a couple of years. Sometimes we switch to Taste of the Wild Pacific stream, just for fun. Don't be alarmed by the blackish poo, it's the color of the kibble. I make turkey wing bone broth & that's how I mix up the recipe. Good for their joints & yummy, too. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 03 Aug 2021, 19:22

Pam,

Good to know about the poo! I would have wondered what was going on!
Bailey would probably like bone broth!

Alice

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 04 Aug 2021, 18:30

Hi Everyone,

I had a message from my vet’s office regarding my request for Bailey’s PLI results. I was told they didn’t run a PLI test since he had just had bloodwork at the end of June and his CPL was run then. The CPL was 387 at the end of June. I’m not sure what this means. The trial bag of Sport Dog Elite Herding came today. We started off giving a 1/4 cup of the Sport Dog mixed with a cup and a half of the Purina EN and 1/4 cup Hills ID wet. He seems to like it. 🤞 Hope it agrees with him!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Aug 2021, 10:53

Hi! I'm not a pancreatitis expert but have asked Jill to pop on. What I found regarding the CPL test and your number is that it may indicate pancreatitis but Jill will be better able to speak to that. Hang in there.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 08 Aug 2021, 11:19

Thanks Madelon!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Aug 2021, 11:37

Hi Alice,

A CPL test is a test that only records the lipase emitted by the Pancrease, and does not include other organs that emit lipase.

A CPL of >200 indicates possible Pancreatitis activity.

I know you are getting a lot of advice on diet here. I would just be aware of the elevated CPL and fat you are feeding in the diet.

I was once told by a renowned Pancreatitis expert on this forum that even though Mickey was taking porcine enzymes with all food, it did not mean I could up the fat content of his diet
without causing him to experience the pain associated with pancreatitis. In other words I had to keep his fat content still under 8% because the added enzyme lipase would not cure the fat/pain issue.

Hope this makes sense. Also, Micks Tli was normal (25) but CPL remained >1000.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

aj6153

Post by aj6153 » 08 Aug 2021, 12:38

Hi Jill,

May I ask what food you fed Mickey? We are in the process of switching over to Sport Dog Elite Herding. The fat content is 15%. Now I’m wondering if that’s too high. Low fiber and low fat would put us back on something like Royal Canin Gastro Low Fat but he didn’t do great on that food. This is very confusing.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Aug 2021, 15:45

Can I just call you? My email is jill.epi4dogs@gmail.com if you give me your number.
Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.