Recommendations on Dosage with Diane's Enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
secretlybees
Pet name: Katara
My name: Alex

Recommendations on Dosage with Diane's Enzymes

Post by secretlybees » 06 Aug 2021, 21:32

Hey friends,
I ordered Diane's enzymes because the bottle from the vet is under half full and with the possible Canada-US border closure, better safe than sorry. Problem is the different levels between the enzymes are a bit tricky.

I currently give 1/4 tsp, and I'm thinking of reducing to 1/8 or 3/16th tsp as the next closest ratio. Let me know if I'm way off base (or too obsessive lol)

Current Enzymes: Lipase 67200 Protease 280000 Amylase 280000
Diane's Enzymes: Lipase 87920 Protease 470400 Amylase 560000
Closest Ratio: Lipase 3/16 Protease 5/32 Amylase 1/8

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Recommendations on Dosage with Diane's Enzymes

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Aug 2021, 07:26

Alex--- the 6X dose is based on the amount of food---1 teaspoon enzymes to 1 cup of kibble. (3/4 teaspoon enzyme to 1 cup wet food, allows for water.) So, just keep the ratio the same, however much kibble you feed. 1/2 teaspoon enzymes to 1/2 cup of kibble, etc. You can transition to the new enzymes abruptly.

Remember to wet the food & enzymes, stir, and allow to marinate 20-30 minutes. Feed 2-3 small meals, and feed 150% of what you'd feed at your doggy's ideal weight. Sorry if I'm being repetitive!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

secretlybees
Pet name: Katara
My name: Alex

Post by secretlybees » 07 Aug 2021, 09:54

Thanks for replying. I know the standard dosages, but Diane's enzymes are close to double what Katara's current enzyme bottle says. They both provide enzyme measurements for 2.8 g of enzymes, so I'm fairly certain I'll need to adjust my current dose when transitioning.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Aug 2021, 19:39

Honestly, I have never bothered reading all that on the enzymes I buy from Diane. If you want, you can call or email Diane & ask her to clarify. She's very friendly, and prompt with her replies.
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Aug 2021, 10:25

Hi Alex! You are right to compare the actual enzyme strengths (it's how I figured out my boy did better on the stronger 8x than 6x and even with that, she had a batch that was unusually strong in the 8x and he did even better with it) - I always compare the amounts and keep a log of his poop with regard to the enzyme strengths. Unfortunately the label on the bottle from the big manufacturer may not be accurate because they don't test each batch of enzymes and change the label to reflect the actual enzyme strength - too expensive. This is one of the reasons I prefer EnzymeDiane's product - she tests each batch and changes the label to reflect the ACTUAL enzyme strengths.

So in your case, I would go ahead and stick with the amount you are currently using (if you ordered the 6x from Diane) and give it a few days/1 week to see how the poops go. If you notice any change for the worse, then I would reduce the amount of enzyme. If you ordered the 8x then you would definitely start with a lesser amount.

Keep us posted on how it's going.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.