won't eat

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
tlwright21
State: Texas
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

won't eat

Post by tlwright21 » 16 Aug 2021, 18:04

now we have gone to the other extreme. he won't eat. his food just lays there and he won't touch it. I just gave him a dog treat. turned his nose up at and walked away. he used to snap those things right out of the air. Im using Enzymes by Diane and feeding him 2x per day. the food is not oversaturated. his energy levels seem the same but he has no appetite. now what? he is getting b12 injections every other week. he goes back tomorrow for another shot. this situation is rapidly deteriorating, especially in the last 2 weeks. . he hasn't lost weight that i can tell, but not eating can not last.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: won't eat

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Aug 2021, 18:46

I'm sorry, Tony. Can you tell us a little bit more about your routine? What food, and is he being treated for SID? That would mean Tylan antibiotic or slippery elm powder and/or probiotics. I would be concerned, too, if I were you. Especially when he wouldn't eat the treats that he has always loved.

So, please just tell us more about his diet, when you can. Thanks---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 16 Aug 2021, 20:04

he is eating taste of the wild high prairie. I was feeding him taste of the wild high sierra mountain. I noticed he wasn't really eating it very well so I bought the different taste, but that really hasn't made a difference. he is drinking water and peeing and pooping like normal

he is not being treated for SID. I have Tylan but no longer give it to him. he really did not like his food when I gave him that but would still eat it. his poop now is about as normal as it can be. tootsie rolls, well formed, normal looking.

noticeable changes are he won't eat cottage cheese, used to love it,
won't eat pupperoni, he used to devour them. just sniffs it and walks away

right now there is a cup of dry dog food in his bowl, with no enzymes and no water and he is not interested in it. His loss of appetite has been coming on slowly for about 4 weeks or so but really noticeable in the last 2 weeks. I thought maybe it was related to the Texas heat, but he spends almost all day/night indoors.
He just has no appetite. His last weigh in 2 weeks ago still showed normal before epi weight levels. but he can't maintain his weight if he won't eat.

wonder if he needs more frequent B12 shots, something is wrong. my vet is inexperienced in treating EPI but has been a vet 30+ years. I find myself teaching him.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Aug 2021, 21:41

Hi Tony. Are his liver and kidney values all in normal range?
What medications is he on? Alot of those can cause lack of appetite.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2021, 07:14

he is only on enzymes. his blood work from April was normal for kidney and liver

Michaela
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 17 Aug 2021, 08:26

Just a note about Tylan, it is VERY bitter. I wouldn't add it straight to his food but put it in capsules.

Nikki goes through phases of not wanting to eat but never this long. She really loves a little goat's milk added to her food. Maybe it's worth a try? https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/instan ... probiotics

I hope he starts to eat soon.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Aug 2021, 13:06

ok so you are using Tylan what weight is the dog and how much are you giving twice daily ?

any rumbling tummy noises

have you checked the mouth and teeth for any issues
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2021, 15:25

no he is not being treated with tylan. no rumbling gut noises, vet checked teeth and gums today, all ok. plan on retesting with another EPI blood test

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Aug 2021, 15:58

Kolby used to go off his food at various times. Have you checked his gums For ulcers? Kolby had ulcers for a while.'

I also switched from giving b12 injections to giving wonderlabs Pet factor . It seemed to keep the b12 steady in his system. How much does he weigh? We increased Kolby’s b12 pills to one in the morning and one at night. Kolby was 80 pounds. When we went to 2 a day his appetite came back.

Barb

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2021, 17:42

vet checked his gums this morning. he actually weighs more now than he ever has, even before he got sick. just now his food is sitting in the bowl and he won't even go near it.