Lypex Vs Other enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jpearson650

Lypex Vs Other enzymes

Post by jpearson650 » 19 Aug 2021, 07:37

Hi, I'm new here.
My dog Bow (Great Dane) does not have an diagnosis of EPI but our vet is treating her as if she does. She matches all the symptoms etc... we have managed to gain 20kg, with Lypex and a tinned dog food called Chappie. She is now back up to 48kg (still small for a dane though) and her poos are 9/10 normal. We have even been able to introduce some treats with good effect.
The only difficulty is that she requires 2.5kg of this a day and she is not gaining any further weight. She does not need to gain much more, but around 5kg would be great. Recently we couldn't source any chappie and had to give her some dry good which she loved (and for cleaning/recycling reasons this would be so much handier)

She gets 2 capsules of lypex daily, one sprinkled over each meal. But the cost of everything is massive.
Is there a cheaper alternative that works just as well, same with dried food - I have sourced this brand called Akeela which seems to suit your forums food requirements and I was just looking for any other adivce.

Thanks,

Jo

BTW i am from Northern Ireland

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Re: Lypex Vs Other enzymes

Post by Michaela » 19 Aug 2021, 10:00

We use Pan-tenex, I'm in the U.S. but it's available in your country also. https://www.pantenexdogenzymes.com/prod ... ed-kingdom

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Aug 2021, 13:04

another one you can try is EnzymeDiane
https://enzymediane.com/
... many of us have used her enzymes for years and years without any issues and at a great cost reduction, along with the fact that you can talk to her directly anytime.
Feel free to call or email Diane directly to find out if customs will hold up the enzymes if you purchase from her.

Attachments
enzymeD.jpg
enzymeD.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jpearson650

Post by jpearson650 » 23 Aug 2021, 14:45

Thank you so much I'll follow this up!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Aug 2021, 20:52

keep us posted!!!!!!!! Diane is very nice to work with.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Aug 2021, 06:22

welcome from Liverpool UK

as you are in Northern Ireland you could try Chemeyes

https://www.chemeyes.co.uk/product/high ... -powder-2/

they also do b12 cpsules

we used Panzym which a great no of people in UK use

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements ... wder-p-501

I used it for 7 years with no problems, Lypex is really expensive

do you have a company called Pets at Home over there ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 05 Sep 2021, 19:26

Hello Jo, I’m in Yorkshire and lived with epi for 8 years.
Tinned Chappie saved my dogs life, though after she regained full weight , she reacted to the chicken and the rice. Then I changed to a succession of dry foods, mostly ending up donated to a dog rescue. Then I stuck to Millie’s Wolfheart or Eden. Both online in UK.
I too was bothered by the price of Lypex. She couldn’t tolerate powdered Panzym. I used Chemeyes capsules as suggested by Jean, and the capsules are fed whole, not sprinkled. We had 2 per meal. You are lucky if your Great Dane is good on a lower dose than diagnosed epi dogs. Why hasn’t the vet given her a Tli blood test to establish her levels? Then you could be sure whether you need to set a regime in place. Jean mentioned the B12 tablets from Chemeyes. (I’ve actually used them on myself successfully,don’t tell my gp). Epi dogs can’t absorb it, but other gut conditions like Crohns , IBD need lifetime supplementation too. It must have intrinsic factor in it. B12 deficiency is insidious, and causes a subtle loss of health , and brain fog. So it is very likely that Bow would benefit from it, and no harm comes from high levels.
Most vets have no practical experience of epi, so they find it difficult, because as we on the forum know, no two dogs are the same with it.
Do let us know how you get on. There are quite a few other UK. members , but I think our management of the condition has improved over the years, and they don’t log on so much! Certainly the amount of information collated by Olesia has educated owners and vets alike.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.