TLi retest

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Seattlelove13
State: Washington
Pet name: Juniper
My name: Jennifer

TLi retest

Post by Seattlelove13 » 23 Aug 2021, 23:05

Hi,
Juniper's second GI panel results came in today. Her first result for TLI was .9 and these new results are 11.4!!! Both were fasting 12 hours. So...is that expected to happen? I'm feeling a bit shocked as I thought that level would always be low because of her EPI...even when under control.
Juniper is our 6 y/o GSD diagnosed with EPI in June 2021. TLI 0.9 and Cobalamin (B12) <150. Lab and U/S confirmed SIBO/SID. Lowest weight 60.6 on 6/29/2021. Currently stable/healthy weight of 74lbs :D EnzymeDiane 6x 3/4 tsp per cup. Prednisone 5mg/day. B12 supplement 1000mcg/day orally. She received a 6 week course of injections before we started. Eats Hills Prescription Digestive Care i/d and boiled chicken.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: TLi retest

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Aug 2021, 12:37

Okay... these numbers are way to far apart.... i have seen changes where they were in the SEPI range and then they are normal.... but i have not seen anything like this..... i am going to contact one of the EPI researchers to see if they have an explanation for this.............. aside from the fact that there may have been a mistake in the lab. or with the blood sample.

I do know that tey have changed the composition of the actual TLI test ......it used to have radioactive materials in it and was extremely accurate... but in recent years, they changed the composition and eliminated the radioactive material so that every so often you get out of range results... but not like this as far as i know.... so i will have to check on this and get back to you.

Was the TLI blood samples sent to TAMU ? or was it done by IDEXX ???
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Seattlelove13

Post by Seattlelove13 » 24 Aug 2021, 19:16

IDEXX
Juniper is our 6 y/o GSD diagnosed with EPI in June 2021. TLI 0.9 and Cobalamin (B12) <150. Lab and U/S confirmed SIBO/SID. Lowest weight 60.6 on 6/29/2021. Currently stable/healthy weight of 74lbs :D EnzymeDiane 6x 3/4 tsp per cup. Prednisone 5mg/day. B12 supplement 1000mcg/day orally. She received a 6 week course of injections before we started. Eats Hills Prescription Digestive Care i/d and boiled chicken.

Seattlelove13

Post by Seattlelove13 » 24 Aug 2021, 19:21

Same lab did both tests. I've asked her vet if there could be a mistake. Will be interested to know what you find out.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Aug 2021, 12:58

still waiting for a response from the researcher... i know he scheduled to travel for a conference presentation... so it might be a little while before i hear back from him......

thanks for letting me know it was IDEXX.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Seattlelove13

Post by Seattlelove13 » 25 Aug 2021, 14:45

Ok great. I am also waiting to hear what the vet thinks, too. I'll share here when she responds.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Aug 2021, 20:45

Hi Jennifer, okay i heard back from one of the researchers with two possibilities.....

#1 one is the same that i said.... possible lab testing error. And said to ask the lab if they can retest it.

#2 the other is a possible strange pancreatic event.... But the researchers are discussing it so i need to wait for their assessment............

Just wanted to let you know that we have not forgotten about you!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2021, 16:45

Hi again Jennifer,

1. An Error: Okay, the EPI researchers said to first (if you can) rule out a collection/testing error... Talk to your vet and ask if they can contact the lab first thing MOnday and ask them if they have any residual left from the original sample. Some labs tend to go a few months before they "clean out" the residuals.. In cases like these, most labs will do a retest with left over residual without any extra charge.
So... worth talking to your vet and asking your vet if they can contact IDEXX and ask if they can do this.

2. A strange, acute pancreatopathy event: that resulted in a transient loss of pancreatic acinar mass. Not sure what could have caused this, but a few cases have been observed where the cTLI dropped into the EPI range and then increased to normal later. If after a possible collection / lab error has been eliminated.... the following is what the researchers recommend :

"Assuming the dog is currently supplemented with enzymes, I would lean toward retesting it a third time in a couple of months. If it is normal, I would slowly discontinue the enzymes over 1-2 weeks and see if the clinical signs come back. If it doesn’t have EPI, it doesn’t need enzymes.

I would also consider rechecking the cTLI periodically (every 12 months?). If this dog had an acute pancreatic injury and recovered, it might still have subclinical acinar atrophy that could become EPI as the dog ages.

It is likely that we will never know what really happened.

Jennifer, i hope this helps a little and please share this with your vet.

Seattlelove13

Post by Seattlelove13 » 28 Aug 2021, 18:47

This is WONDERFUL. We've sent this info to our vet and will definitely update the community as we discover the answers!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Aug 2021, 21:30

Jennifer---Are you and Juniper named for the Donovan song? Not that this has anything to do with EPI, but Tucker wants to know.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.