back to loose stools

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: back to loose stools

Post by Barb » 29 Aug 2021, 11:04

I know that it is very frustrating when your pup won’t eat. Kolby did not like the enzymes and we went through difficult times when he would not eat or had to be coaxed. I think I mentioned before that getting his B12 levels up did the trick. For him it was taking Wonderlabs pills with intrinsic factor twice a day(he weighed 85 pounds)that finally helped his appetite, in addition to everything else being balanced.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Aug 2021, 19:19

Tucker doesn't mind the taste of enzymes, but my maltipoo with IBS won't touch it. I empty the B12 capsules into Tuck's food & save them. Then I put her dose into the capsule, coat it in butter& stick it down her throat. --- P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Aug 2021, 11:35

a little funny- -you never know what to expect from dogs........... just to lighten the frustration of a dog not wanting to eat!........

I had 3 dogs at the time my EPI gal, Izzy was still with me. i fed all 3 together at meal times. Once i accidently mixed up who got which bowl of food. Izzy proceeded to just sit and stare at the bowl in front of her, but she would not eat it..... it did NOT have enzymes in it... as soon as i realized my mistake and gave the right dog the correct bowl of food... she ate :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Aug 2021, 11:43

Just read thru all the posts again..... one thing that you "might" want to try, since neither you nor the vet can come up with a good reason why the inappetence.. and then he ate some food that was out for a bit.........

THis might sound a little harsh, but won't do any damage..... TRY for a 2 days..................

Try giving him only 1/2 the amount of food that you normally would feed him ... give him 15 minutes to eat it all... at the end of 15 minutes... take up the dish and DO NOT give anything until next meal. Repeat exact same thing next meal.

Do this for day 2.

Often times, (and i have been guilty of this with my non-EPI dog) when they don't want to eat, i freak out and then try everything.... well... i then they start messing with me to see what can i come up with next and maybe it will be more yummy then that last thing i "tried"..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Aug 2021, 15:02

They are just like toddlers, Olesia. You do this with kids, too. My dog trainer assistant preschool teacher friend & I used to muse how much dogs & toddlers have in common.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.