back to loose stools

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
tlwright21
State: Texas
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

back to loose stools

Post by tlwright21 » 26 Aug 2021, 10:30

we are back to loose frequent large volume poops. this has literally happened in 24 hours. It is almost at an uncontrolled stage now. He has had maybe 5-6 large volume poops in the last 12 hours.

As I previously stated he has been very reluctant to eating for the past 3-4 weeks. I was feeding him Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain when this loss of appetite started. Thinking that perhaps a change in taste would fix his appetite I bought Taste of the Wild High Prairie. he still is not eating well. I took him yesterday for another EPI blood test and the vet stated he saw no reason to repeat the test. So we didn't do it. He is getting biweekly B12 shots.
I'm giving him Enzyme by Diane (1.5 tsp per 2 cups of food) but am considering going back to RX grade. I know it is cheaper but is it as good?. The timing of my last package of Enzymes almost corresponds with the loss of appetite(this is the 2nd package of Enzymes by Diane that I have bought)

How do I know if I should start giving him Tylan again?

Is this normal to loose the balance and go back to where I was 3 months ago? we are back to cow patty poop stage now.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: back to loose stools

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Aug 2021, 20:41

Is he gassy? When Tucker's poop gets softer & he starts farting, I know SID is back. Time for tylan.

Have you thought about trying Sport Dog Elite? Tuck loves buffalo & sweet potato.

Lastly, maybe you do need the other enzymes. Most dogs do great with Diane's, but who knows? Whatever you decide to do, only change one thing at a time, and wait about a week before you make another change.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Michaela
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 27 Aug 2021, 08:03

Since the change in poops happened so fast, I would say get some different enzymes and see if things improve. Nikki is one of those dogs that didn't do well on Diane's enzymes for some reason and she hated the smell. Nikki did great on Viokase but we had to switch to Pan-Tenex due to cost and she has been fine.

If he still doesn't want to eat after putting him back on the Rx enzymes, then you can always try the Pan-Tenex later, it's Acetone-Free, maybe it's the smell he doesn't like?

"Pan-tenex™ is also Acetone-Free. Some enzyme supplements may contain a fowl or pungent odor. This is because the enzymes in their product may have been manufactured using Acetone during the extraction process. Not only can this odor be offensive, but many pets do not accept the product once it is mixed into their food."

Do you know his B12 levels? Nikki has to get weekly B12 shots to keep her levels up.

When she was first diagnosed we did have to put her on Tylan and she has been on it for life. Hang in there, you will get if figured out.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 27 Aug 2021, 10:56

he is not gassy, I don't hear any stomach rumbling, his poop this morning is still loose and shows undigested food and fatty deposits. this is completely sudden change in the last 48 hours.

he won't eat peanut butter, he won't eat cottage cheese, he won't eat eggs , he won't eat dry food without enzymes. he wouldn't eat canned grain free food last night

but is still very active and energetic but this can't last if he doesn't eat

he has pretty much shut down eating altogether. maybe as little as 1 cup of food and that is with me sitting by him and coaxing him to eat. his normal diet is 4 cups/day.

im taking him in today to do a cbc blood test

any thing else I should be doing or trying? how do you get him to eat???

aj6153
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Alice

Post by aj6153 » 27 Aug 2021, 12:48

Hi Tony,

Hope Jasper is doing better. I had an issue with Bailey not eating and someone suggested soaking his kibble. I also grind the kibble in the blender then soak it in 1/4 c of water. It really helped him. I used to have to add wet food to get him to eat. I don’t have to do that anymore. He was also having looser stool with mucus in it. I’m in the process of switching him to Sport Dog Elite Herding as well as continuing Tylan. So far he is doing much better on the Sport Dog. I don’t know if any of this is helpful but I was at my wits end before I started soaking the food. He’s not completely stabilized with the poo but headed n the right direction.

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Aug 2021, 15:29

Tony, I'm glad you'll be seeing your vet. Please keep us posted, and I am very sorry this is happening. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 28 Aug 2021, 09:25

CBC all normal. no explanation for loss of appetite. He is still very energetic

Im switching back to RX grade enzymes. Started using Tylan again. I just don't know what to feed him. Hopefully the rx grade enzymes will make a difference and he will start eating.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 28 Aug 2021, 13:46

interesting development just now. I take him outside throw the ball a couple of times, he brings back and then 3rd time he runs over and eats his soggy dry dog food that had been sitting for 4 hours with enzymes and tylan on it. eats it all. i don't know what to make of this or conclude from it. his last poop was normal as it could be. this is driving me crazy

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 28 Aug 2021, 15:20

Well, you know one thing. If he is hungry enough, he will eat dry, soggy, enzymed food. Lol

Barb

Michaela
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 29 Aug 2021, 08:59

One thing I would NOT do is adding Tylan to his food. It is really bitter and since he already doesn't want to eat, the Tylan in his food will make it worse.

Did the vet check his B12 level?

Have you ever tried some of these suggestions to see if it will make a difference?https://epi4dogs.com/camouflaging-the-enzymes/

Nikki really loves Goats Milk added to her food, maybe you could try that? https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/instan ... probiotics

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."