Recurrent Anal Gland infections

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
cjjames
State: Florida
Pet name: Jade
My name: Christin

Re: Recurrent Anal Gland infections

Post by cjjames » 05 Sep 2021, 11:00

Jean wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 08:20 Metronidazole has side effects

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/metronidazole, personally, I would keep clear of it the neurological issues can be serious

I remember Nikki having her glands removed

My two males had theirs out as it was nuts evey week at the vets, and if they get abcesses then its nasty

the food might be an issue

Lamb, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, Brewers Dried Yeast, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dl-methionine, Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

Maybe too much rice , we recommend grain free , no rice no grains less than 4% fibre lamb is a great protein my Kara could only tolerate Lamb as a protein

let us know
Gotcha, that must be it then. It was right after the course was done she started sneezing often so I'm sure it was that.

The rice is still below the fiber/grain % I believe and her stools are 85% solid so I don't think this is an issue.
Also I read in the link that you provided that anal glands can remain full as they're not pressed enough by fully solid stools. My girls stools are about 85% solid which is why I'm guessing the glands aren't emptying properly.
The link suggested adding in fiber - would this make it worse for an EPI dog do you think?
I don't think there's much to do about making her stools more firm honestly. When I add in less or more enzymes she has looser stools.

Also did your GSD's have any issues after having the glands taken out? Just don't want something else developing as a result of the surgery.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 05 Sep 2021, 20:43

Pumpkin is good fiber, and OK for EPI dogs. Just had this conversation with Olesia a few weeks ago, and like I said, Tucker does well on it, as my vet recommended for scooting & licking. ie, anal gland issues.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Sep 2021, 06:51

once the glands have gone then no further issues, and the smell went , never tried pumpkin so give it a go
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx