EPI Dog having acid reflux?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

EPI Dog having acid reflux?

Post by mkazin » 07 Sep 2021, 18:16

Hi there,

You guys have been insanely helpful over the past year and a half with Scottie. She's doing really well on Enzyme Diane Pancreatin, B12, probiotics, and Slippery Elm. She also gets monthly allergy shots and only eats hydrolized protein food for her allergies (she is a medical mystery but we love her!) She still has the occasional bile puke but only when it's really been a bit too long since her last meal.

The thing I'm noticing now is that she seems to be having acid reflux. She'll have little vomits in her mouth pretty often. It's been going on since we got her, but was always the last thing on our list because we were trying to get her to gain weight and be healthy in bigger ways. Is this common? Anything we can do?

Thanks all!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: EPI Dog having acid reflux?

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Sep 2021, 19:55

Hi Maia---

Acid reflux is mentioned on the SID/SIBO page, but I don't find any follow-up. Here's the link. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. At any rate, it does seem like it can be related to SID. I wonder if maybe you need to give a course of Tylan?---Pam

https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Sep 2021, 10:34

can you tell us when during the day this is, it it brown like bile , or white froth
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 08 Sep 2021, 17:54

Thank you so much!

It's generally after eating. And it's not visible-- it's inside her mouth, so not sure what it looks like.

She did have a problem puking white bile, but we took care of it thanks to this forum telling us about slippery elm and providing more, smaller meals throughout the day!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Sep 2021, 13:36

so is she baulking ?

sounds like over acid of something

what weight is she and how much Tylan, it is weight dosed

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

scroll down
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 11 Sep 2021, 13:04

Yes- baulking sounds right. Thank you! She's not on Tylan right now because she was doing so well without it.

Honestly in the last few days after I posted, she's been doing so much better and I wonder if I was over eager to reach out. There were a few days where she was baulking a lot but not at all over the past few days so I'm going to leave it alone for now and keep watch. Thank you for all the info-- will definitely check back for it if it starts up again.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Sep 2021, 15:47

Hey, so I have no idea what baulking is, but I intend to ask the google machine to clear that up for me. BUT, FYI, SID can come & go. Tucker is on a maintenance dose of Tylan & slippery elm, daily, and then a few times a year we have to bump it up to a 45 day therapeutic level.

This may happen because I refuse to deny him the "cookies" I give to my other dogs. Worth it, IMO.

Do not ever feel like you shouldn't ask about something. When you ask & receive an answer, you are adding a piece to the puzzle for somebody out there reading!

---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.