New, 4 year old Sheltie with EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New, 4 year old Sheltie with EPI

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Sep 2021, 15:49

Sounds OK, but how will she bring it up to room temp? I believe cold temps deactivate the enzymes. Give it a try, I guess, and watch the poo. It's all about the poo. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Majorqt75
Pet name: Abbey
My name: Suzanne

Post by Majorqt75 » 11 Sep 2021, 16:25

I don’t know how to get her a meal in the middle of day, I can’t leave work for 2 hours(and that’s double my gas) and the dog walker doesn’t want to handle medications, I thought if she were to take it out prior to their walk, it may warm up enough.
But on positive note started enzymes last night got a solid brown poop this afternoon!!!!

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 11 Sep 2021, 17:36

First, Woo Hoo for solid brown poop!! I would think the food would be fine in a cooler with ice packs unless it’s really hot out. A trial run is always a good test…good idea! While the cold does make the enzymes less active, some dogs are fine eating a meal right out of the fridge. It also might warm up enough while they walk. Again I would a little wary if it’s really hot, though. Another option would be to give a smaller meal at bedtime rather than lunchtime. Some people have had good success with that also.

Majorqt75

Post by Majorqt75 » 11 Sep 2021, 18:12

It’s just the 9 hours between meals is my biggest worry, just while trying to get the ravenous hunger under control, which I gather as the more food gets absorbed that after awhile the will start to go away?
I’m in Ontario and it’s cooled down a bit...more want to do the midday meal while we’re trying to get the 3-4 lbs back on her...then once I get her weight to stablize I can go back to breakfast, dinner and snack...

Shirl D.
Staff

Post by Shirl D. » 11 Sep 2021, 18:53

The only way to know for sure how it will work would be to try it. But if the food is in a cooler with an ice pack, it should be fine until lunchtime. And remember that “snack” needs to have enzymes, too, or it won’t be digested and will cause problems. Keep us posted!

Shirl D.
Staff

Post by Shirl D. » 11 Sep 2021, 18:55

And yes, the ravenous hunger should subside once she is absorbing her food better and a good weight. 🙂

Majorqt75

Post by Majorqt75 » 11 Sep 2021, 21:30

Yes Shirl I know to add enzymes to every thing she eats, been looking up recipes for snacks for her...my friends brothers a butcher and can get me cow pancreas that I can slice thin and dehydrate slowly on a low temp...

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2021, 09:54

thanks for sharing the info for the enzymes Shirl
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 12 Sep 2021, 21:13

WOW this is all news to me. I'm sure I've read here that cold makes the enzymes not as effective, and heat can kill them. SO I've gone to a lot of trouble at every meal to bring the bone broth from the fridge (I add to his enzymes) up to room temperature. I'll be interested to read how this works out. Could make my life a little easier!

I think it's amazing that you already have a solid poop. GOOD job!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 14 Sep 2021, 12:27

the 9 hours you mention is that over night
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx