B12 Pills

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
tlwright21
State: Texas
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

B12 Pills

Post by tlwright21 » 10 Sep 2021, 16:13

I just came back from the vet for Jaspers biweekly B12 shot. he said I can just start giving him daily b12 supplements that you buy in the grocery store. 2500mcg/d. what is the thought on this? Im glad to save the money but was a little bewildered at this advice.

By the way, his appetite has returned in the last week. he lost about 2# during the past month when he kind of quit eating . his poops are pretty good. giving him tylan each meal

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Re: B12 Pills

Post by Shirl D. » 10 Sep 2021, 19:54

It's good to hear that his appetite is better! In theory, any B12 supplement should work, however, there is something called intrinsic factor which is necessary to be able to absorb the B12. Some of our EPI dogs have sufficient intrinsic factor to absorb any B12, but many of our EPI dogs do not, so they won't benefit from just any B12 supplement. (It's not necessary for a shot, only for supplements going through the digestive system.). Unfortunately, we have no idea which dogs have enough intrinsic factor and which do not, and I don't know of a test for it. Fortunately, there are a couple B12 supplements that have intrinsic factor added to it, and they work very well for our EPI dogs. These are the supplements that we recommend. I use Wonderlabs PetFactor B12. Here is information from our B12 page:
"In the USA, Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12 https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688 or Wonderlabs Trinfac B https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=6881 are products widely used (with great success supported by before and after Cobalamin blood tests) in many EPI pets with low B12. If you are in the UK, you can purchase B12 with Intrinsic Factor from Chemeyes, LLC. http://www.chemeyes.co.uk/ If upon initial EPI diagnosis, your dog has insufficient B12 levels."

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Sep 2021, 07:23

I second Wonderlabs Intrinsic Factor!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

You can also order direct from the company, with a discount for EPI4Dogs, I believe.

They work great.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

tlwright21
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

Post by tlwright21 » 11 Sep 2021, 09:07

the directions for the wonderlabs b12 says to open up the capsule and sprinkle on food. are you doing this at the same time you are applying the enzymes, meaning wonderlabs b12 gets all mixed in with the moist food?-( how else could you do this with a EPI diet? )

or do you just give your dog the pill as is separate from the food?

Michaela
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 11 Sep 2021, 09:32

I have two unopened bottles of the Wonderlabs B12 pills if you would like them.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Sep 2021, 15:51

Tony, I just give him the capsule, mixed in with his food. I figure it dissolves in his belly. But, yes, you can give it at the same time. ---P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2021, 13:42

we dont use Wonderlabs as the cost of import to UK is ridiculous but we use something similar you need the Intrinsic factor, I strongly advise you to use them, we gave 1 daily mixed in with the food without the capsule itself But as long as they get it I dont see how is important , Kara would swallow the capsule whole, she was a dream with tablets

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_ ... py_for_epi

it seems to help their mental state too

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

RosietheRedLab
Pet name: Rosie

Post by RosietheRedLab » 14 Sep 2021, 09:42

Just seconding that we use the WonderLabs B12 pills (cheap and quick shipping in the U.S.) and mix the whole capsule in with Rosie's food right before we serve it. She doesn't have any problem gobbling down the capsule. But if your dog has an aversion to the whole pill in the food, the capsules are easy to pop open and sprinkle over before serving.
Diagnosed August 2021: TLI <1.0, Cobalamin 329, Folate 16

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Sep 2021, 13:10

I agree with all in favor of Wonderlabs pet factor B12. We gave it to Kolby for years and had excellent results. He was one of those rare dogs who opened his mouth for me to put the pill in. What a love! But many people open the capsule and sprinkle.

Barb

PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 11 Oct 2021, 06:58

We give Piper B12 pills daily as well. However I never heard of the produxt you are mentioning, How would I know if I should be using it?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.