Can't get antibiotics needed

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jsumner001
Pet name: Alfie
My name: Julie

Can't get antibiotics needed

Post by Jsumner001 » 15 Sep 2021, 09:45

Hi all, I've posted previously and got help so I'm here again. We've moved to northern Cyprus with our dogs. Alfie is a 11 yr old Springer. he's been doing so well, his poo is the best I,ve ever seen it until last week and obviously having a relapse hes on panzym and slippery elm but got runs again normal back to square one, diarrhea, smelly etc. Been to vets here omg you don't pay for consultation. I told him about tylan and the oxy one but they can't get here. I've got amoxicillin and started him on this today
Welcome any suggestions. My UK vet would only prescribe metronidazole so I can't even try and get some some UK plus they'd insist on seeing him which isn't possible. I didn't try and get metronidazole due to this forum. Thanks all Julie and Alfie ps he's fine in himself but then he always is.

Patsy

Re: Can't get antibiotics needed

Post by Patsy » 15 Sep 2021, 17:44

Thats a pain! Can another vet practise help? Can’t they order fromTurkey? When my daughter lived in Greece, she could buy antibiotics for humans, over the counter at pharmacies without prescriptions. Do you think Northern Cyprus pharmacies are equally lax ? Or can you get oxytetracycline for humans from S. Cyprus pharmacies? It would easy to check the dose for a dog from the online Merck Veterinary manual. Marti, my springer did well on it, using a fortnight of treatment instead of one week.
When daughter’s Greek mother in law was here, she had a cold, and demanded antibiotics at a chemist, politely refused. Luckily, we hadn’t any, so we gave her some colourful capsules , probably vitamins, as a placebo. She recovered immediately. The word hypochondriac is Greek.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Jsumner001

Post by Jsumner001 » 16 Sep 2021, 00:46

Thanks. Yeah got amoxicillin over the counter no problems. Maybe I'll ask the chemist about the oxy ones. How long do u think I should keep him amoxicillin for. The others say 1 month so I'm thinking the same.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 16 Sep 2021, 05:59

I can’t answer your question , but I’ve just read that if you use human tablets for dogs, you should check the ingredients list to make sure they don’t contain xylitol, the sweetener that can be toxic to dogs.
There enough risks in Cyprus and Greece with ticks, fleas, leishmaniasis, poison , and guns. Feral dogs lead a happy existence till they get sick or injured..
My daughter fostered or adopted all animals that turned up at her lane, seemingly knowing she was an English softie. The vets were caring and dedicated, and supportive of the animal rescues, encouraging police to intervene in cruelty cases. Our families in Yorkshire now have four dogs and a cat, all abandoned abroad. And one from Barnsley, in a worse state than these.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Jsumner001

Post by Jsumner001 » 16 Sep 2021, 06:26

Hopefully vet checked that when he issued prescription I'll check ingredients on package if I can understand them lol

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Sep 2021, 08:01

type exactly what it says on the bottle and copy and paste it onto a new page here, and select language, top right, and the country and it will translate for you

what a pain can you get Oxytetracycline there ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 23 Sep 2021, 08:13

Καλιμεηα
I’ve opened Greek text on my phone. If you use google translate on your Greek writing on packet, you can just scan it for the instant translation. The trouble with medicine names is that they are all made up nonsense .
I did two years of Greek language evening classes and can’t remember anything. My daughter lived there for a few years and is pretty good. . We all loved the relaxed attitudes to everything except officialdom and animals.