New to the site

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
wsantschi
State: Texas
Pet name: Lucy
My name: Bill

New to the site

Post by wsantschi » 16 Sep 2021, 15:44

Hello,
My name is Bill. My wife, JoAnn and have a 4-yr-old GSD - Lucy and a 9-yr-old Boston Terrier - Patrick. Lucy was diagnosed with EPI last Friday. I was able to drive her blood work to the amazing TVMDL (Texas A&M ) in College Station. Had results back by noon on Friday. The Vet wanted $700-$1000 to do all the tests. A&M charged me $97! That included a complete blood chemistry as well. Her Trypsin-like IP was 1.3, Cobalamin was 313 and Folate was 21.6. We started her on enzymes right away and were able to switch to Enzymediane's 6x starting yesterday. She has already been improving. We caught this early. She was down to 59lbs as of last Thursday. We see vet tomorrow. I believe she is putting on weight already. It's been a scary ride, but I know with the terrific people on this board, Diane of Enzymediane and Olesia Kennedy have been so friendly and understanding. Thank you all soooo much!
Lucy on bed.jpeg
Lucy on bed.jpeg (328.35 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
This our precious Lucy!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New to the site

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Sep 2021, 18:28

Welcome! Lucy is gorgeous. Glad you are proactive on this. Did the vet say anything about B12 shot protocol from TAMU? Lucy's B12 needs to be in the upper high range like 500 or greater. You can use shots or oral supplement with Intrinsic factor.
As for the diet what is Lucy eating?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Sep 2021, 19:18

Welcome, Bill, to you and JoAnn and Lucy! She is beautiful. You really did your research and got results fast. Lucy is very lucky to have you and your wife in her corner. So glad that you got her on Diane’s enzymes so quickly.

I agree with Jill that you that Lucy will need B12 supplementation to get her levels up. She can have injections ….either from your vet or you can give them yourself……or you can purchase pills with intrinsic factor that you can get from Wonderlabs. (Called Pet Factor)

One thing that helped us enormously especially at the beginning was keeping a journal/log. Record everything you give Lucy each day, the amounts, and the resulting poos. This will help you to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted.

Ask any questions you have. Let us know how the vet visit goes. You are doing a great job already.

Barb

wsantschi

Post by wsantschi » 19 Sep 2021, 16:07

Barb and Jill,
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I should be receiving the B-12 vial and Tylosin powder in the next day or so. Vet prescribed Omeprazole 20mg too. We're transitioning Lucy to
Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and skin from Pro Plan Large Breed Chicken and Rice. She had put 3lbs on after one week...so, sure seems like she's responding well.

Again, a million thanks to you gals and everyone on this great forum!

Cheers!
Bill

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 20 Sep 2021, 08:45

Good afternoon and welcome from the UK

that is one hell of a saving

the Tylosin is weight dosed twice daily

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

which actual variety of food are you giving ?

we recommend 50% over and above what the food directions say for the weight they SHOULD be, and the daily journal is essential

and the b12 is essential

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_ ... py_for_epi

what was Omeprazole prescribed for ?

what a beautiful photo and I adore the surroundings, very regal

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

wsantschi

Post by wsantschi » 20 Sep 2021, 15:54

Jean,
Thank you for your reply. After researching the Omeprazole and talking with Diane of Enzymediane.com, I have decided to discontinue. Lucy never had any gut disturbances beyond yucky poop and the SID/SIBO. We're transitioning her to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Skin from Pro Plan Lg Breed Chicken/Rice. Should receive the Tylosin and B-12 on Wednesday.

Again, thanks for being so concerned and caring.

What a great group this is!

Cheerio!
Bill

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Sep 2021, 19:11

Bill, Welcome to your family! As you seem to have already figured out, living with an EPI dog is very manageable, though there can be ups and downs, and this wonderful forum is always here to answer our questions.

I looked, but was unable to find the percentage of fiber in Lucy's new food. It's good for the fiber to be at around or less than 4%, Grain-free is great, too. If you read the signatures at the bottom of the posts, you can see what foods some of us have had success with.

Tucker has done well on Sport Dog Elite, for herding dogs. Makes his poop black, but hey, it's easier to find it among the fall leaves!

Glad you're here---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 21 Sep 2021, 04:36

This IS a great group

I have been around since 2010 when the group was in its infancy , and forum based only

with the forum and the internet it has become a worldwide force of knowledge, and we have members everywhere

it has been my privilege to be a member of staff, and Forum Director, and have made some very close friendships over the years, and spent holidays with one of them in Scotland, I love helping wherever I can and you learn as you go on constantly

so let us know what happens and what works for you

My Kara couldnt tolerate chicken or poultry fat in dog food, or rice, but she was 1 of many different EPI dogs
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx