Protein Losing Enteropathy (PLE)

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
smartblonde612
State: Oregon
Pet name: Jamie
My name: Vicki

Protein Losing Enteropathy (PLE)

Post by smartblonde612 » 21 Sep 2021, 15:32

My 8 year old Cavalier was diagnosed with EPI back in March. We put him on enzymes and after some trial and error with diet, most of his symptoms have been controlled with 3 exceptions:
He is starving all the time and he eats his own and our other dog's poop. He also has a noxious odor that began when we started him on the enzymes. It has improved but not gone away completely.
Lastly, he hasn't gained back much weight and his most recent blood work now shows he has Protein Losing Enteropathy.
Does anyone have experience with this?
Our vet recommended we switch him to Purina HA (Hydrolyzed) vegetarian formula and nothing else for at least 6 weeks, then repeat his blood work.
If anyone has tips on managing both EPI and PLE, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vicki

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Protein Losing Enteropathy (PLE)

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Sep 2021, 19:35

Hi Vicki, welcome to the group. That odor really never goes away, just may get faint. You can try wiping your pups face with a wet cloth after eating or encouraging water drinking to rinse the mouth.
I have contacted our founder Olesia. She has had to manage PLE in one of her pups.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Sep 2021, 22:52

Hi Vicki,

Jill contacted me about this (thank Jill).... with PLE sometimes the first line of defense in managing it is with diet. Your vet is spot on to try a hydrolyzed diet.... there are cases where hydrolyzed, or home made low fat has resolved PLE..... the other treatment is steroid and metronidazole.... although i wonder if Tylan can be substituted for metronidazole nowadays.

HOWEVER.... since your pup also has EPI..... please ask your vet if instead of trying Purina HA (Hydrolyzed) if your vet would consider letting you try Royal Canin Ultamino (Hydrolyzed). The reason why i am suggesting this is because EPI dogs that also are battling IBD often have to also be placed on a hydrolyzed food. out of the 5 real veterinarian / prescription hydrolyzed foods available.... EPI dogs overall seem to do much better on the Ultamino vs. the Purina HA. This is not to say that Purina HA won't work, it may or may not.... it is just that we have seen better success with the Royal Canine Ultamino. Please share this with your vet and keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Sep 2021, 06:26

you have the best advice here I have no experience at all

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 23 Sep 2021, 07:51

My springer had PLE as part of her epi diagnosis years ago. Vet said she was two weeks from dying. He could hear fluid within her abdomen and round her heart and lungs, confirmed by x ray. He said this was more lethal than her epi and put her on steroids rising to 25mg and the Uk choice of antibiotic, oxytetracycline. Plus her epi enzymes. The PLE resolved after a few months.she had other weird conditions with her skin. When she was a chunky 10 year old, she had a grade one heart murmer that never caused issues.
Cavaliers are prone to mitral valve heart disease , so it’s good your vet is careful. You sound to be in good hands.
I can reassure you that my Marti, in the avatar regained her weight and healthy coat despite early struggles,
She was difficult with food, and at first I just had to hand feed her anything she would accept with the enzymes. I agree that hypoallergenic food is advisable nowadays. But if it’s too bland, just get any low fat wet food down .
It’s all a nightmare at first, but believe me , it gets better once you see solid poops!
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Sep 2021, 11:48

Thanks Patsy for sharing your personal experience with PLE.... PLE can be a real struggle! But it always helps to hear other's personal experience.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........