Update on Lucy

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
wsantschi
State: Texas
Pet name: Lucy
My name: Bill

Update on Lucy

Post by wsantschi » 23 Sep 2021, 11:32

Hi everybody!
Lucy continues to improve. Finally got the B-12 shots going (we managed the first injection, but it was very difficult...Lucy hates needles. We'll take to vet and they'll do them for very small fee). Got her going on the Tylosin powder as well. Her poops have so much better. Still not perfect, but browning up nicely and the odor seems to be normalizing.

I do have a question: When she stabilizes, shlould we continue three feedings per day or, go back tp 2X/day?

Thank you all for being so nice and helpful!

Bill

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Update on Lucy

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Sep 2021, 11:55

Hi Bill, typically we suggest feeding the extra 150% and breaking it down into smaller meals until the following:
1. she has gained back all or most of her weight
2. she starts leaving some food in the bowl

Either of these situations is a good indication to go back to feeding less food (more like the normal amount) and only twice a day.

HOWEVER..... just another little tidbit..... Some EPI dogs forever will require more food for their size than a non-EPI dog of the same weight.... you'll figure this out if you discover she starts losing too much weight after feeding her a normal portion of food.

For example, i had 3 Spanish Water Dogs. My female, Izzy (who was the smallest at 35lbs) was the one with EPI. For Izzy's entire life i had to feed her almost double what my male 60lb dog ate ..... so............... i'm just saying ......... :D ..... you never really know with these dogs and most of the time you just have to try it.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

wsantschi
State: Texas
Pet name: Lucy
My name: Bill

Post by wsantschi » 23 Sep 2021, 17:23

Olesia,
Thank you for the fast feedback!
Bill

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Sep 2021, 19:25

you are very welcome!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........