Abbey Update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Majorqt75
Pet name: Abbey
My name: Suzanne

Abbey Update

Post by Majorqt75 » 25 Sep 2021, 09:35

Here’s my original post about Abbey. https://www.epi4dogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1238
So it’s been 2 weeks on the Vets enzyme and she’s been having a majority or 3 & 2 poops, a couple of 4 but only 2 times!
I do have my kilo from Enzyme Diane but want to finish the over priced ones I have, hoping there’s not a long transition time, but considering her poops were good the next day after starting enzymes I don’t think there should be too much problem.
As for her original blood work, her TLI was 1.6 and b12 is 212. I have bought b12 from Wonderlabs but being in Canada it’s going to take a bit.
Her coat seems to be filling out and she’s gained weight back. The only issue started Sunday her nose started to flake on the top of her snout, now she has a large raw spot, I think I may have washed her face a bit roughly and it didn’t dry it off enough. I have a snout balm coming (not snout soother as it’s 16.00 on Amazon here, but a Canadian equivalent and should be here Monday)
And Jean mentioned egg and potato for a bedtime meal and she’s loving that!!!
The lunch time meal in the cooler bag seems to be working well! Her dog walker takes it out before they’re walk and gives it to her when they get back, and poops are good!
I think that’s the main points, she’s still hungry a lot but it seems to be better then what it was!
I’m going to try and make training treats this week with her dry food, bone broth, enzymes and my dehydrator. There’s a local butcher I can get cow pancreas from.
I attached a picture so you can see her raw little nose! The Sheltie people think she has lupus and think I need to put her through more tests!!! But think I’m going to try the balm, for 2 weeks.
I kinda remember her nose getting flaky this time last year, so could be allergies!
Attachments
3EF0A507-C48A-41EA-83A1-04C3A2C01F7C.jpeg
3EF0A507-C48A-41EA-83A1-04C3A2C01F7C.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1864 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Abbey Update

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Sep 2021, 10:38

What a great update. Looks like you are heading in the right direction. Maybe feed her on a flat plate or likimat so her nose is not exposed to the enzymes? Or gently wipe her face and nose with wet soft cloth. Try putting a few ice cubes in her water and let her "bob" to clean her nose
I always have some A&D ointment and Bag Balm on hand. Good on the Snout Saver.
Are you feeding her 150% of the recommended food to get her to weight?
She is adorable.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Majorqt75

Post by Majorqt75 » 25 Sep 2021, 11:34

I don’t put too much stock in what is written in the back of bag, when she was eating the recommended 1 cup she was a whopping 27 lbs where she should be 19-20...so I’m basing it on what I was feeding her when she was a good weight which was 2/3 cups and what other Sheltie breeders usually feed, so dry I’m giving her about 1 cup plus wet 3 tablespoons or so of wet...then the egg and mashed potato at bed time...
I weighed her at Rens pet and according to their scale she’s gained 2.1 lbs but there’s might be different from Vets...so Thursday I was going to see if the vet office can weigh her for me just so I can see if there’s a big difference, or if they are close...

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 Sep 2021, 17:56

Suzanne (one of my favorite names, from the Leonard Cohen song!)---You are doing great!

FYI, Tucker's snout & gums get sore from the enzymes. If I wipe him down with a sopping wet paper towel after he eats, he is much better off. If I forget, I put some Aquafor on & around his snout.

Abbey's nose problem could well be due to allergies, but either way, I'm sure the balm will help.

The poop & weight gain sound awesome. My vet is a mobile vet, and she sent me to another for Tucker's EPI diagnosis. At that point he weighed 60 pounds, and he was very, very lean. The treatment fixed his issues, including putting some meat on his bones so his ribs stopped sticking out. He was going along fine for two years, before I was finally able to take him for blood work & know without a doubt that he had EPI.

Well they weighed him before the blood draw, and when they did, I learned that he now weighed 80 pounds!!! It's a wonderful feeling, seeing the improvement that takes place over time. Abbey is hungry all the time because she needs to get her health back. She may always be a voracious eater, but you'll be able to slow down her eating when she is stabilized long term.

Take Care!---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 26 Sep 2021, 05:42

Pam you are a girl after my own heart with music

Leonard Cohen at 2.00 am after a party, takes me back, and Donovan from somewhere else

anyway, the nose issue

try a flat glass pie dish for food, they cant get too much of their muzzle in it, failing that, hand feed

and vaseline on the crusty bit just before feeding, it acts as a barrier, and wash the mouth out with a water squirt bottle or ice cubes

https://www.amazon.com/Vaseline-Origina ... 263&sr=8-7

egg and potato is one we started when Kara was ill and she wouldnt have it taken away , so 48 eggs at a time and reconstituted potato, she would have 3 or 4 at a time, sometimes with cottage cheese fat free, and our border collie house guest loves it too , non EPI

you are doing sooooo well my Kara was 39 pounds at her worst and got to 90 over several months, and for a shepherd she was pathetic

the one thing you will find is that they blow their coat big time, so dont worry about that, just stuff cushions !

that face says it all

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Majorqt75

Post by Majorqt75 » 26 Sep 2021, 09:08

I have notice what I think is acid reflux, I thought she’s been having it prior to her diagnoses, in the evenings mostly she swallows a lot, licking and chewing the air and last night she was cuddled with me on the couch and it was like she brought something up and swallowed it down...I’m going to contact vet and see if she’ll give me a perscription for omeprazole (think that’s what’s been suggested on here for dogs...I take it for gerd myself) to see if that doesn’t help, any suggestions of best time of day to give it to her if I think her acid reflux is worst in evenings?

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 26 Sep 2021, 13:30

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 Sep 2021, 14:45

So nice to see all these Leonard Cohen fans.

I also would recommend the flat plate. It was the only way Kolby would eat his enzymed food. He did NOT like enzymes. People used to tease me about feeding my dog on the good crystal (it wasn't crystal), but it was the only plate I had with a slight lip around the edge, so he wouldn't push the food onto the floor.

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the Light gets in...."

Barb

Majorqt75

Post by Majorqt75 » 26 Sep 2021, 15:02

Just bought 2 plates for her that will fit on her raised feeder!!!Quick trip to the Dollarstore!

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 26 Sep 2021, 16:51

nice one

jx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx