Zoe, spitting up clear liquid

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Zoe, spitting up clear liquid

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Oct 2018, 10:56

It lets you know how long it takes something to go through your dogs system. So if you change something in your dogs diet you will know when to look for changes in the poop.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Oct 2018, 14:22

HI Sonja,

I am thinking along the same lines as Jean.... i would go ahead and do the Tylan next.

Regarding the Slippery Elm.... no harm done if you gave it with every meal... i just typically suggest twice a day... but honestly, some folks prefer to give with every meal.

Since the Slippery Elm did not appear to fix the problem this time.... then i would stop it for now and save for the next time. SID has a habit of periodically rearing it's ugly head with these dogs and many times, when we just notice it starting to go uncontrolled and use Slippery ELM, we often get it under good control and don't have to go the Tylan route. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case this time .....So just save it for future use :)

Ahhhh carrot transit time. THis helps you identify at this stage, how long it takes a particular meal to be fully digested.... once you have this "time" then if/when you make a change.... you will know which pile of poop belongs to which meal you gave :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

sonjawooden
State: Colorado

Post by sonjawooden » 01 Oct 2018, 16:43

Does it matter which Tylan powder I buy? I see brand name Elanco Tylan soluble powder, generic Tylosin Tartrate soluble powder, Tylovet Soluble powder (tyrosine tartrate). $14 difference from brand name to generic. I also see Tylosin Tartrate suspension (made from Tylan compounded) and Tylosin Tartrate capsules (made from Tylan compounded), and Tylosin Tartrate Flavor Tablet (compounded).
My name is Sonja. Zoe is a 3 y/o female German Shepherd. Dx 8/30/18. Weighed 60 pounds at dx and now weighs 66.6 pounds (after 19 days of treatment). Sport Dog Food Whitefish formula 2 cups 2 times a day. Currently using Bio Case enzymes 1 7/8 teaspoon per 2 cups of food 2 times a day, but will be switching to Enzyme Diane's 6x when we run out. Add slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon Slippery Elm to each feeding (2x/day) and 1000 mg of B-12 PetFactor once a day added to dinner.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Oct 2018, 19:38

Buy the Elanco Tylan powder.

FYI....We are working with a company now to carry quality Slippery Elm powder... as soon as it is available we will let everyone know..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

sonjawooden

Post by sonjawooden » 01 Oct 2018, 19:56

Bummer. That is the most expensive one. The generic powder isnt OK?
My name is Sonja. Zoe is a 3 y/o female German Shepherd. Dx 8/30/18. Weighed 60 pounds at dx and now weighs 66.6 pounds (after 19 days of treatment). Sport Dog Food Whitefish formula 2 cups 2 times a day. Currently using Bio Case enzymes 1 7/8 teaspoon per 2 cups of food 2 times a day, but will be switching to Enzyme Diane's 6x when we run out. Add slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon Slippery Elm to each feeding (2x/day) and 1000 mg of B-12 PetFactor once a day added to dinner.

sonjawooden

Post by sonjawooden » 01 Oct 2018, 22:16

Despite still struggling with bad poops, Zoe gained another 3 1/2 pounds this last week and has gained approximately 11 pounds in one month since starting enzymes. Also she is getting some new fur on her tail which had gone from a huge fluffy tail like a fox to a rat's tail before we got her diagnosed with EPI. What os the thought behind how EPI develops? Why can a dog be fine for first two years of life then get EPI? Does the pancreas start off working then slowly stops making the enzymes needed? Are dogs born with EPI or do they develop it? Or do they not really know yet?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Oct 2018, 05:18

regarding the generic Tylan powder, called "Tylovet"

You can try it... BUT..... when Tylan first went to prescription only and Tylovet was available without a prescription..... folks started buying Tylovet. Then we started hearing from some folks who said that it worked great, but we also heard from other folks who said it didn't work as well as Tylan. Because of this, my suggestion is to go with tried & true Tylan.... only because as a community, we have much more first hand positive experience with Tylan than we do with Tylovet..... but .... it is ultimately up to you which one to use :)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Oct 2018, 05:38

Sonja, although you are still dealing with not so great poos..... Congrats on Zoe's weight gain - -that is excellent news!!!! and of course that the tail is starting to get better too!

To answer your questions about EPI.... "What is the thought behind how EPI develops? Why can a dog be fine for first two years of life then get EPI? Does the pancreas start off working then slowly stops making the enzymes needed? Are dogs born with EPI or do they develop it? Or do they not really know yet?"

... the short answer is that we do not have all the answers yet, and that is why Epi4Dogs is working with Drs. David Williams and Patrick Barko at the University of Illinois Vet School doing the "Maya Metabolomic & Microbiota Research"..... what we suspect so far is that there is primary EPI (young dogs) that develop EPI.. probably with a mutli-genetic component, and maybe some environmental triggers..... and a secondary EPI (usually older dogs) that develop EPI due to something else one example is chronic pancreatitis where EPI is the end stage of chronic pancreatitis. I think that the answer to your question "does the pancreas starts off working and then slowly stops making the enzymes is probably what does happen..... Are they born with it??? Well..... it sure seems that some are born with the propensity to develop it, while in others it happens because of something else.................. we all want to know the answers to questions like these and hopefully the research will shed some light on this. If you'd like, please go to the EPI Research tab and read about the Metabolomic Research
https://epi4dogs.com/current-studies-in-process/
taking place right now :)

sonjawooden

Post by sonjawooden » 02 Oct 2018, 08:42

Thank you for the info.

sonjawooden

Post by sonjawooden » 04 Oct 2018, 11:19

I have ordered the Tylan and gotten a script from my local vet. However, when I told her that the recommended initial dosage for EPI is 1/4 teaspoon twice a day for Zoe (71 lbs) for 45 days, this is what she said: "I would start with 3/4 teaspoon twice daily and then you can reduce based on response. The typical dosing for Tylan because of the powder form is 1/4 teaspoon per 20 pounds of body weight two to three times daily."

Is her information just general recommended dosage for other issues requiring Tylan and still give what your site, research, vets, and experience suggests and let her know my plan as such?