No Ribs!?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

No Ribs!?

Post by Montgomery » 09 Oct 2021, 16:01

So, I think this little hairball has actually put on weight. I can no longer feel ribs or a spine or hips. I have a sinking feeling that last year's parka is not going to fit him anymore and I'm grateful to Mynwood Cat Jackets for giving him so much extra Velcro on his harnesses.
So, now, oddly...I may have to watch he doesn't expand too much? I'm going to take him and have him weighed when I pick up Morgenne's fish oil at the veterinarian next week and see where he's at. Last time he was about six and a half pounds, but that was nearly a year ago.
My question (see, I got there), is what do I do when he is a good, solid weight? Currently, he eats six meals a day. His enzymes are in capsules and he swallows them and a good amount of water just before his dishes are set in front of him. He gets Royal Canin Spayed/Neutered Kitten dry food and Science Diet Light and Perfect Weight canned foods. His canned food is limited or he gets the runs, but he can eat as much dry as he wants at each sitting. Do I start restricting his dry food, or do I eliminate a meal? I never expected to get to this point with him because he's such a finicky eater. Twice he's gone four months of being syringe-fed because he wouldn't touch anything.
What did you all do when your furballs actually hit a normal body weight? I think a good weight for him is seven to seven and a half pounds.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: No Ribs!?

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Oct 2021, 17:52

Congratulations... this is GREAT news!!!!!!! Always LOVE to hear about weight gain in an EPI companion!
Don't cut out a full meal, that might be too much.... just reduce one of the meals by maybe 1/2 only and give it a few weeks... watch the weight situation to make sure weight loss doesn't occur.

Again... CONGRATULATIONS!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Oct 2021, 19:07

I love hearing updates and antics on Montgomery! Yay for the weight gain.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 09 Oct 2021, 20:50

Olesia711 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 17:52 Congratulations... this is GREAT news!!!!!!! Always LOVE to hear about weight gain in an EPI companion!
Don't cut out a full meal, that might be too much.... just reduce one of the meals by maybe 1/2 only and give it a few weeks... watch the weight situation to make sure weight loss doesn't occur.

Again... CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks! I'll give that a go and see what happens. This is one problem I never thought I'd have!
Thanks everyone!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Oct 2021, 12:08

WHen my gal gained too much weight... i cut out one of the extra meals and it turned out too much, she lost weight.. so then i had to add back and just reduce one portion by a little bit... that is why i suggested the above... Good luck and please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Oct 2021, 10:37

Wonderful news! It is always amazing to suddenly be concerned about too much weight, isn't it? Congratulations!

Barb

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 11 Oct 2021, 15:25

Its unreal!
My best friend didn't believe me and braved his growling to find out. She was shocked, too!

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 16 Oct 2021, 11:00

So, we went to the clinic yesterday and they weight the little hairball....

7.45lbs!!!

He's huge!!! He's gained a pound over the past almost a year. Can't call him Skinny Legend anymore I guess, can I?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Oct 2021, 12:06

this is what we like to hear and I can almost HEAR your delight

Onward and upward
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx