Shortage of Dogmeds uk

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Lenus

Shortage of Dogmeds uk

Post by Lenus » 18 Oct 2021, 04:55

Hi all, apologies for the long break since last post but thanks to the help and advice I received here, we've been good. Firstly, for anyone who has suffered loss or illness since I was last here, please accept our deepest sympathies.
Lenny? Lately he's been showing signs of EPI again, even with regular Panzym. He has become manic over food and resorted to eating his poo on occasion. We've had him on a low dose of Panzym for nearly 2 years so we decided to up his intake and needed more of. BIG problems in the UK and the rest of the World it seems, with the supply of pet medications. Cannot get Panzym or any other medication for home treatment of EPI. There is also a major problem with a lot of veterinary prescriptions, injections etc with Vets having to select the neediest animals for annual injections and so forth. The tragedy of Covid 19 will haunt us for many years and my heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones but the supply problem was not something given much thought, by me anyway. Much more serious considerations were on minds and still are, sadly. When can we expect to resume 'normal service'? How long is a piece of string?
Any advice on an available, alternative pancreatic supplement in the uk will be greatly received. Ray

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Shortage of Dogmeds uk

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Oct 2021, 08:38

Ray, the whole situation is awful and surely felt by everyone over the world. Here is a list of enzymes you might try Creon. Do you work through Chemeyes?

https://epi4dogs.com/enzyme-list/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Lenus

Re: Shortage of Dogmeds uk

Post by Lenus » 18 Oct 2021, 11:37

Thanks Jilbert, I've checked the lists you've shown and looked at the Chemeyes site but opted for my regular supplier's own brand enzyme supplement. Results to be discovered yet. Constituent make-up seems to be the same so price dictated I'm afraid.
What I did find when trawling through the many EPI pages was that stress can have a big affect. Lenny suffers with stress due to his abuse before he was found. A few weeks ago we were in our static caravan in the country, which he loves, but one day there was someone shooting nearby, his memories of being shot came flying back. Wouldn't get off his bed and even refused to eat unless we placed his food under his chin. Frozen to the spot. He recovered slightly the following day but was very subdued. Doesn't like being alone at night when we're down there since, which means I sleep near him or he whines all night. No hardship for me just a load of anger for his abuser. Maybe it's that, who knows, an appointment for tests with the Vet is needed. The Vet? Managed to book him in earlier this year (finally) and found that the new Vet at the practice was one of the team who had saved him in the Veterinary Hospital 3 years ago. He was pleased with his recovery and also told me to keep on with the Panzym as it seemed to be working. Asked about his mental health and agreed with me that he probably has a form of PTSD. Who wouldn't?
Fingers crossed normality returns to the World soon. Thanks again for all your help, stay safe and healthy, all God's creatures. Ray