New Diagnosis and Treament Not Working

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Teila
Pet name: Ziggy
My name: Teila

Re: New Diagnosis and Treament Not Working

Post by Teila » 03 Jan 2022, 17:14

I am a 'newbie' to EPI and my EPI puppy does not arrive here until mid-January; however, I have been following your thread and I am so happy that Harmony is getting back on track!

Your neighbour sounds lovely and I feel she will look after Harmony well.

One thing I have realised on my extensive research is that there are going to be ups and downs but those downs can be fixed!

I have no plans to travel; however, I tossed up whether to keep Ziggy's food journal electronically or in a book; I went with a book so that if I do have to travel or even leave Ziggy at the Vet's, I will be able to hand over his journal to whoever is caring for him with all the do's and don’ts and as a guide to his baseline diet.
Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Jan 2022, 17:22

Hi Tella,

thanks for posting and that is a great idea to keep these notes in a book so that you can easily hand it to EPI dog/puppy care-givers :)

We typically recommend keeping an EPI journal to track progress or lack of progress and results when you make the one-at-a-time change when attempting to alleviate triggers and to find what the best balance of the suggested EPI protocol works best for your individual EPI dog.... BUT.... keeping a journal or note "book" would also be a GREAT tool or guide to share with those caring for an EPI pet in the owners absence. thanks!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Jan 2022, 20:16

I had the same experience with my enzyme scoop, way back when!

May I ask, why does Harmony take folic acid?

Have fun on your trip!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

ssmith
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Harmony

Post by ssmith » 03 Jan 2022, 22:21

In regards to the folic acid, I honestly have no idea. The vet put her on it a few months ago, and I never actually asked why. He said she didn't need it forever but that was it. I doubt she really needs it, but I also figure it can't hurt, so I am gonna use it up and then not buy more. I guess I probably should have asked why she needed it before giving it to her. oops.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 03 Jan 2022, 23:18

Folic acid is involved in several processes in the body, most of which are WAY beyond my knowledge and comprehension. However, I understand that it helps the body absorb Vitamin B12 and helps the B12 in some of it's functions. This could be why the vet wants you to give it. Folic acid is such a good "partner" with B12 that it is included with many B12 supplements, including the Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12 that many of us give our dogs.

ssmith

Post by ssmith » 06 Jan 2022, 19:47

Just a quick Harmony update. Her new enzymes came in and she is getting her proper dose (I am actually measuring this time with a tsp!) and her poop looks fantastic! I have never been so excited to see some dog poop haha. I am excited to see how much weight she puts on in the next couple weeks!

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 07 Jan 2022, 13:36

That's such great news! I'm so happy for you both!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Jan 2022, 17:53

HAPPY POOP DANCE! I swear I sometimes stop myself, just in the nick of time, from talking about Tucker's poop to other people. It's such an every day thing for me, and we are all so comfortable talking about it, here. Please pray for me to keep my wits!
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

ssmith

Post by ssmith » 09 Jan 2022, 12:16

Haha, nobody wants to go through my camera roll because it has a lot of poop pics. The vet wants to see all the pictures so we gotta take lots;) Here is her poop pic I got from my neighbor yesterday! It's the best I've seen in months!
Attachments
-1872606112633276782.jpg
-1872606112633276782.jpg (772.62 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Jan 2022, 13:25

AWESOME! Tuck eats Sport Dog Elite buffalo & sweet potato for herding dogs. It's black, and you can see his poop from 50 feet! You are doing great!---Pam