How do you store your Viokase-V?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PooganNash
State: Michigan
Pet name: Poogan
My name: Melinda

How do you store your Viokase-V?

Post by PooganNash » 20 Oct 2021, 14:45

My dog, Poogan, was diagnosed in September. Your website has been so helpful! I am wondering how people store their Viokase-V. Also, my vet did not recommend adding water and stirring the enzymes on to the food, just advised to add the enzymes to the top of the food and wait 15 minutes to serve. The instructions on the enzymes says to add a small amount of water. Any advise on these two topics would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Poogan4mo.jpg
Poogan4mo.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Poogan Nash
Fortiflora once daily, Hills i/d food, Viokase - V 1 tsp with each meal, 20mg famotidine with each meal

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: How do you store your Viokase-V?

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Oct 2021, 16:21

oh my goodness ... what a real cutie Poogan is!!!!!

Ahhh you were given much instruction, eh?!

Well o store... with a bottle/jar of Viokase just store the bottle in a your kitchen cabinet. Someplace dry and out of the light. If you have a lot of enzymes, or if you buy in bulk, like a kilo from EnzymeDiane.... , then what you can do is just put a few weeks worth in a tupperware land store that in your kitchen cabinet and double or even triple freezer bag seal the rest and store in your freezer. Freezing extends the life of the enzymes... which last quite a bit anyway (like 2 years or more even just if longer the potency diminishes a bit).

When including enzyme powder with food.... what you want to do is moisten the food (with a little water or broth or something palatable and "wet") just enough so that you can mix the enzymes in with the food and not feed the enzymes "dry" as that can cause mouth sores. We also recommend after mixing the food to let it sit for approximately 20 minutes..... this will further help avoid any possible mouth sores in some dogs and quite honestly some dogs just do much better when their enzymes are incubated.

hope this helps and thanks for letting us know that our website has been helpful to you :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

ssmith
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Harmony

Post by ssmith » 20 Oct 2021, 16:24

I am brand new here too, so I don't have any advice. I do want to say though that Poogan is absolutely adorable!! He just made my heart melt!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Oct 2021, 19:17

WELCOME!!!

Poogan is as cute as his name! So, Melinda, please check this out. Lots of us use these enzymes with success. Occasionally you hear about a dog having trouble, but that is really rare.

You can buy a sample bag, to see how Poogan does. WAY cheaper. https://enzymediane.com/

Look around the site. I particulary like Managing EPI, and SID/SIBO categories. They are full of information. Also, read the signatures at the bottom of posts. That's where we list what has worked for our dogs.---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Oct 2021, 09:51

Hi Melinda, Poogan is so cute!
It also helps if you can keep a daily log so you know what works and what doesn't.

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Oct 2021, 16:55

I used to save the Viokase plastic containers and then when I started to order by the Kilo from Enzyme Diane, I would fill the containers with the enzymes and keep them in my corner kitchen cabinet, which was rather dark and nice and dry. Because the plastc was opaque and heavy duty, I knew the powder would stay fresh. Just be careful not to inhale any of the enzyme powder when you are transferring it to containers.

Barb