Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Re: Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Post by Jane&Clyde » 02 Dec 2021, 13:45

I'm glad Whiskey is doing better. My only suggestion would be to continue giving him the Proviable. Most of us who give probiotics do it long term in hopes of keeping SID under better control.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com
State: New York
Pet name: Whiskey
My name: Elizabeth

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 02 Dec 2021, 16:16

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. Is it the "Nutramax Proviable-DC Capsules Digestive Supplement for Cats & Dogs" that you recommend?

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 02 Dec 2021, 16:41

Yes, that's the one most people here use.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 02 Dec 2021, 17:25

Thanks!
One question, I am attaching todays Whiskey poop. It looks much better but still has some mucus on the outside. Does that ever go away or is this the best it gets? He has come a long way but I keep wondering how far can he go to be completely healthy. I know every dog is different and I will feel better once I get his blood work done next week to see if his ALT levels have come down after 45 days of tylan.

Does anyone think I should get the GI bloodwork done in addition to see how his other levels are at this point? Does SID show up on those tests?

Thanks everyone! I am so grateful for this website and all of the wonderful people who view the threads and offer assistance! May you all be blessed for your generosity!!
Attachments
Whiskey poop 12/2/21
Whiskey poop 12/2/21
IMG_20211202_145445291.jpg (472.8 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 02 Dec 2021, 18:18

I just got the final results from Whiskeys nutriscan tests, I guess the other results they sent were just preliminary. It looks like he is allergic to many things. Ugh! I did know that he was sensitive to beef which is confirmed in the test.

I am attaching the results in case anyone has had experience with these tests and can offer some assistance. Thanks!
Attachments
WhiskeytestHML162751.pdf
Whiskey Nutriscan results
(195.47 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Dec 2021, 19:46

Poor thing.... lots here to aggravate SID :(

Altough... looking at his latest poop pics... his poos are really good now and my first thought would be to only remove the "strong reaction" food items and don't worry about the medium reaction items just yet...........

GIve it a few weeks and see what happens....

If you are still not pleased with his poos THEN.... i would still avoid all "strong reaction" items and limit as much of the medium reaction items as possible.... maybe (if you get to this point) try a food that is lamb based and made with sweet potatoes..............

in the meantime..... i would introduce milk thistle, Resveratrol and ginger to his diet... those are ALL great items that work at reducing oxidative stress=inflammation.... and talk to your vet about how much vit E to add to his diet. EPI dogs have a problem with the fat soluble vitamins (they are lacking in them) so adding vit E would also be a very good move.

If you find that none of the above works or works well long enough.... because of Whiskey's multiple reactions to multiple proteins, as a last resort what i would then do is put him on a prescription hydrolyzed food, although not Ultamino (which i usually recommend) because Ultamino is prepared with corn starch... so your vet will have to prescribe a different brand..........

hope this helps a little
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Dec 2021, 19:52

oh... i forgot to answer your question about doing more tests for SID.

there are no specific tests for SID......... we go by the underlying condition, like EPI, and what they have discovered is that ALL dogs with EPI also have SID to one degree or another. Our objective is to keep SID under good control . MAybe someday we will figure out how to eradicate it!
SO.... no, no other tests for this.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 02 Dec 2021, 21:28

Wow! That's quite a list of allergens to avoid. The closest food that I know of that MIGHT work is primarily made from lamb, egg, sweet potatoes, and tapioca. Unfortunately, Whiskey is reactive to both eggs and sweet potatoes, but at least his reaction wasn't at the medium or strong level to any ingredients in this food.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 02 Dec 2021, 21:51

Thanks again for looking at his result and giving me your opinion! How much milk thistle, Resveratrol and ginger should I give him? Doesn't denamarin have milk thistle in it? Should I give him more or a different kind? I will ask the vet about the vitamin e next week at his bloodwork appointment. Would you recommend having a GI blood test done in addition to the regular chemistry panel?
Thanks again.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Dec 2021, 23:04

Yes, Denamarin has silymarin in it which is the active ingredient in Milk Thistle.... so my bad... if he is already taking Denamarin, he doesn't need to take Milk Thistle.

Regarding Ginger, for dogs for a dog between 20-50 lbs they can have 1 tsp of ground ginger.... i personally only give 1/4 tsp of ground (powdered) ginger to my dog who is 45 lbs.... i tend to give less with spices then what is suggested. If Whiskey is around 70 lbs.... although more can be given, i would only give a total of 1/2 tsp daily... maybe 1/4 tsp with breakfast and 1/4 tsp with dinner.

With Resveratrol... i am not sure... this is something you would need to ask your vet. I do know there are a lot of resveratrol pet products available....see if one is something your vet would recommend.

At this time i don't see a need to do a GI blood test as Whiskey appears to be improving............ but this is really up to you.