Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
nessmuk@ntcnet.com
State: New York
Pet name: Whiskey
My name: Elizabeth

Re: Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 12 Jan 2022, 10:47

I forgot ...he is also getting a probiotic. The vet suggested Visbiome which I haven't gotten in the mail yet so I am giving him the Proviable DC that I had been giving him before until I get the new one.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2022, 11:51

Hi Elisabeth...

Thanks for the poop picture... that helps a lot! That poop... they yellow and wee bit of slime that you are seeing is SID. SOOOOOOOooooooo......what you are doing is great (with the Proviable) while waiting for the Visbiome in an effort to alter the gut flora into a better gut flora coposition. Unfortunately.... the improvement doesn't happen overnight.... so you usually won't see results right away. Also... the rice "might" be encouraging SID ... but if this is the case.....you are kind of stuck with the copper condition that you need to treat.... and the copper condition treatment takes precedence over EPI.

What i suggest is stay the course, do not give Tylan for SID just yet... lets see if the Visbiome can greatly improve the SID over time.... BUT.... what you can do is use a little more enzymes to compensate for using rice. If you are dealing with another condition that requires some food ingredient that is not optimal with EPI, increase the enzymes amount and this usually helps.

Start with 1/8 tsp more enzymes .. but if you don't see any improvement in the poop within a few days... then bump it up to 1/4 tsp more enzymes.

Keep taking pictures and sharing with us.... that will help us better help you.
SO glad to hear that Whiskey is feeling more like himself and acting better... i am sure that is making you feel better too:)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 12 Jan 2022, 12:56

Actually he is on Tylan. I got the capsules from the vet. 650 mg - 2 times a day. I will increase his enzyme a little and see what that does. What kind of improvement should I expect with the increase? Will it be darker? I did add back some slippery elm (1/8 tsp 2x/day) to help with the diarrhea, do you think I should continue that...with less...or none? I am only giving him b12 every other day at this point too since he did get the shot almost a month ago.
I am just glad that the poop is more formed and not the pile of mush or diarrhea that it was last week. I don't think he did well on the hydrolyzed food. If the allergy saliva test was correct corn was a high reactive food for him and that was what it was made of. I am glad to get him off it even though I know it was good for the liver. I agree removing the copper from his liver needs to take highest priority and it will be a long haul to completely clear him of it (6-12 months) and it may not ever be cleared. He may have to stay on a low dose of the meds for life.
Thanks again for your support and advice ... as always we are greatly appreciative!

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 18 Jan 2022, 22:13

I have a question for anyone who is feeding home cooked food to their dog. Whiskey is on a restricted diet of cooked white rice and tilapia. He likes the fish but the enzymes on the food turns it to mush and then he won't eat it. Do you use a different rate (1 tsp/cup) due to the light nature of the food?

Thanks

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Jan 2022, 22:32

Is the tilapia a wet fish how you cook it? If so you could maybe try 3/4 t per cup of fish and rice and incubate that. Or you could hold a little rice out and use as a topper. If you try the less enzymes keep an eye on the poop.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 19 Jan 2022, 08:13

I sous vide (cooked in vacuumed sealed bag in a controlled hot water bath) to cook the fish so it is rather moist. I have been mixing the enzyme with the food then add a touch of warm water. I first heat the food in microwave for 30 seconds to get it to room temperature since it has been in the refrigerator.
Thanks for your input!