Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Liver enzymes ALT level of 1500

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Oct 2021, 22:30

yes i sure did like Your "Zen" Whiskey boy :)

Hopefully the Tylan will start to improve the poo.... and hopefully your vet will agree to the 1/4 tsp twice a day. Glad she already gave you some Proviable. Good stuff...

Keep us posted and we'll walk you thru the steps as needed.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

nessmuk@ntcnet.com
State: New York
Pet name: Whiskey
My name: Elizabeth

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 27 Oct 2021, 15:52

Yes poop is improving! It is getting more brown and less yellow and getting more firm! Yay! :D

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Oct 2021, 20:15

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 27 Oct 2021, 23:21

Well I guess I might have cheered too soon. I am attaching a photo of last night’s brownish poop and tonight’s poop that is smaller but yellow again. So is color or firmness more important to be improving at this point? I am trying to not be too impatient about his progress but am curious about what I should expect to see if things are going well or not. I was also wondering if I should I give him any B12 pills? I have some CoBalequin that I use to give him. Thanks again for your advice, it is so greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Whiskey poop 10/27/21
Whiskey poop 10/27/21
IMG_20211027_211350143.jpg (458.03 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
whiskey poop 10/26/21
whiskey poop 10/26/21
IMG_20211026_173848034.jpg (364 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Oct 2021, 23:28

YES.. please do give Whiskey the Cobalaquin B12..... these B12 pills are good, made with Cyanacobalamin B12, but with some EPI dogs they don't work as well as expected... if this happens with Whiskey, then you will want to switch to the WOnderlabs Pet Factor B12 made with Methylcobalamin B12.

But YES, please do start giving the B12 pills ASAP... as low B12 can also contribute to sloppy stools.

Regarding the step backwards with the poo.... don't worry about it yet... what you want is OVER ALL poos moving in the right direction.. but sometimes with getting EPI and SID under good control, it is 2 steps forward, 1 step backward.... so just watch and assess overall.

Also, sometimes you get a blob of bad poos when trying to straighten things out and i think (although i am just guessing here)... it is almost like a blow out of whatever crappy stuff is lingering about............

Anyway.. please continue to keep us posted and include pictures... VERY helpful.
THe crappy poo pic had slime in it and that's SID....

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 28 Oct 2021, 00:01

Ok, thanks for the quick response and helpful information! How will I know if it isn't working for him? He has had low levels of B12 in the past. This summer the GI blood work report said that the b12 levels were very high but I believe they were because I had been giving him the b12 pills for a month or so?? prior to the test. The report didn't say that there was a problem just noted the high levels. I stopped giving them to him and I am almost out of the Cobalaquin pills anyway so should I purchase the wonderlabs brand and try them instead?

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 07 Nov 2021, 11:33

whiskey 11-7-21
whiskey 11-7-21
whiskey11-7-21.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
Whiskey update: I have been giving the following meds - 2 tsp of Pancreatin 6x USP powder from Enzyme Diane mixed in 1/4 cup warm water for 30 minutes, Denamarin (2 pills at least 1 hr before am meal hidden in 1 TBS soft can food) since September; tylan since 10/26 (1/4 tsp on top of food) 2X day; 1/2 tsp slippery elm on food 2X/day since 10/17; 2 pills b12 (wonderlabs) on food since 11/2. I am attaching his poop from today. It isn't yellow but still very soft which to be honest is probably what his poop has been like for a long time. I thought that it was the best he could do with his EPI condition. Now with his high ALT levels I realize that something else cold be wrong and feel bad that I may have unknowingly accepted his unhealthy condition as normal. Do you think he is doing ok, progressing normal for SID or should I be doing anything else for him? He is still eating and acting normal for him. He has always been a picky eater and it takes him a long time to eat. Please let me know how we are doing and if you think I should do anything different. I know that you said half way to give the proviable-forte and 11/16 would be 22 days. Could it be anything in his diet that could be making his poop still so soft. I look back on that one day he had a firmer brown poop on 10/26 (prior submitted photo) and wonder why I haven't seen another one like that. I will admit to not be able to get good photos everyday
Whiskey 10-28-21
Whiskey 10-28-21
whiskey10-28-21.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1378 times
of his poop but am attaching a few others in case that helps. I have been keeping a better log of all food and activities to help see if there is something else that could be affecting his poop. Once again I appreciate your input and advise. Thanks so very much!
Elizabeth
whiskey 11-2-21
whiskey 11-2-21
whiskey11-2-21.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1378 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Nov 2021, 20:11

ahhh... crappy SID poo. It is getting better...but not there just yet.
When giving the enzymes, mix the enzymes in the food and THEN add some water to wet the food and the enzymes together.

Also.... justt looking at the poo.....it could mean that some "tweaking" needs to be done.... but exactly what is always a guess. SO... as we always suggest, lets try things one at a time:

1. for 2 days reduce the SLippery Elm to 1/4 tsp with the meals... and watch the poo output to see if this improves the poos or not. If the poos improve ...slippery elm results are fairly quick... so you should be able to determine fairly quickly if it was too much slippery elm causing the soft stools.

2. If #1 isn't the problem.... then for the next 3 to 5 days ....the next thing to try is add 1/8 -1/4 tsp more of enzymes to each meal ..... again, watch the poos closely, if the poos improve then this means that the food that you are feeding is not optimal and eventually you will need to find a food that works better for WHiskey.

3. If #2 isn't the problem, in other words you don't see any difference, then that means you need to slightly increase the TYlan antibiotic dose. Sometimes this happens with some of these dogs. In which case just add 1/8 tsp more or Tylan to the breakfast and dinner meals.

And please keep us posted!

nessmuk@ntcnet.com

Post by nessmuk@ntcnet.com » 08 Nov 2021, 20:25

Thank you so much!!! I will try your suggestions!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Nov 2021, 22:36

please keep us posted!