9-4-18 Taste of the Wild Food alert!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: 9-4-18 Taste of the Wild Food alert!

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Sep 2018, 14:15

HI BIll,
They may or may not have researched multiple batches, although, like you, i suspect they did in order to file a law-suit like this. However... we have no idea of the validity of this claim... but to best serve our EPI community, we post "alerts" when we become aware and when we think they may apply to some of our members..... but we leave it totally up to the member to make their own decision about a product/service......

Hmmm........ possible secondary career???? :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 10 Sep 2018, 08:26

The Clean Label Project did some research looking into heavy metals contamination in dog food in 2017. They posted the information in the Spring of 2017. There are other class action lawsuits, the other ones that come to mind is Rachel Ray and Orejin. I contacted Earthborn since my dogs are on Ocean Fusion. The FDA/USDA does not require dog food manufacturers to test for all of the metals that are listed by the Clean Label Project AND for the ones they do test Earthborn are in FDA/USDA compliance. So, as we all know, nobody really knows how much your dog can handle.

Here is the link to the Clean Label Projects results of the food they tested:
https://www.cleanlabelproject.org/brand-report-cards/

I think you need to do your own research and find out what you are comfortable with depending on you and your dogs.
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Sep 2018, 11:22

Thanks for the information and link Conny.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

TankTank

Post by TankTank » 10 Sep 2018, 16:33

Hey Folks,

I know there are a lot of problems with dog food production. I cite Iams in the mid 2000 where dogs were eating iams that was tainted and a lot of dogs died from renal failure.

We fed both our dogs IAMs during this decade and only 1 dog got renal failure, she was a chihuaha our shepherd rotti mix did not, however he did die of a cancer that grew behind his right eye. but he made it to 1 day shy of his 11th birthday.

We also change our manufacture of dog food from produced in china to produced in north america and went from grains to grain free diet as well.

I dont see why any manufacture would knowingly place harmfull fillers in their food, you still have inspectores and a clientel that can have the food anylized. those metals can be in tap water from contaminated wells.

If this manufacture did in fact do this, that would be deplorable and sould be made to compensate
Tank GSD Born jul 22 16, diag EPI 22 months, TLI 06/08/18 b12 181,folate 22 TLI <1, TLI 08/15/18 b12 423 folate 12 TLI <1.0, Acana Lamb 2c 1c 2c mixed with 4 2 4 ounces fresh beef pancreas,liquified and mixed room temp, 6 hours, fortiflana probiotic, monthly b12 8cc, highest weight 93lbs(too chunky)lowest 73, current 82. Hate this disease.