B-12 shots plus WonderLabs B-12 with IF?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: B-12 shots plus WonderLabs B-12 with IF?

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 30 Nov 2021, 12:15

Debbie--- I just gave Tucker his first dose (in months) today. Maybe we can compare notes. I gave at most, half a capsule. I believe there is an option for buying small dog tablets, so we are using the right size for our big dogs. Amazon had a deal where by setting up auto delivery & ordering the first bottle for tomorrow, I got 30% off, 10% in the future. I plan on a smidge of slippery elm, too. I have it, and even though I don't understand the pro/pre-biotic idea (don't bother explaining...I will never get it), I know it is sometimes recommended.

The added expense of Proviable is a wash, since I can hopefully cut back on air freshener in the near future.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Post by maya193 » 30 Nov 2021, 18:53

Pam you have me laughing so hard right now!!!! Yes let’s compare notes as we go! I gave Maya a quarter of a capsule today… At least I think it was a quarter lol! I thought about just going right with the half since it would be easier but I figured I’d work her into it slowly for the first four days and then go to half a capsule and then to one capsule. I too am going to keep the slippery elm in too….Pre-/probiotic’s are amazing..Although I really don’t understand that myself either! It’s like calculus in high school… I heard the words but I’m like yeah I really don’t get it!

Oh and furthermore… I will never forget the words I heard when Maya got diagnosed… “Oh yeah so you just add some enzymes and they bounce back“…..I laugh… I just laugh
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Dec 2021, 20:09

Oh, yeah, and each one is a unique little puzzle, too.

I wish I had given Tucker less than half, because his poo was the mushiest it's been in a long time. Better today, though.---P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

maya193

Post by maya193 » 02 Dec 2021, 15:15

So today is Maya’s last third of the first capsule. So basically over the past three days she has gotten the equivalent of one capsule. Not seeing too much of an improvement yet. Going to bump it up to a half a capsule per day starting tomorrow for a few days.
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 02 Dec 2021, 15:22

Don't be discouraged if you don't see improvement right away. Probiotics can take weeks to show results.

maya193

Post by maya193 » 02 Dec 2021, 15:43

Thank you Jane! :)

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Dec 2021, 19:34

Be careful not to overdo the slippery elm. Less can be more.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 03 Dec 2021, 09:35

Hi Debbie. I am just catching up with your thread and it just shows us what a balancing act treating EPI can be. And how every dog is different. Our Kolby seemed to react to every little change. But when you mentioned the heartworm medicine I realized that he never reacted negatively to the Sentinel. His stools never changed. Thank heaven for the daily log. It always saved our sanity ......well, mostly always. And we now have a girl, Madison, who is Non-EPI whose stools can change for what seems to be no reason at all except for a change in schedule or a vet visit........so all of our pups are unique......and a challenge. Turns out our sense of humor may be our best friend.

Hang in there. Those stools look pretty darn good.

Barb

maya193

Post by maya193 » 03 Dec 2021, 16:12

So, we are on day 4 of the probiotic. The First 3 days I gave just 1/3 of the capsule. Today I gave 1/2 a capsule and intended to do that for a few days (4-6). However, today she had a bout of diarrhea. :(. My plan is to now go back to just a third of a capsule or maybe even less per day… Is there any particular way the probiotic should be given? Should I just continue on course? I'm wondering at what point I would consider antibiotics. If the diarrhea keeps happening? All of your expertise is so valued and I thank you. Such a frustrating road....It seems like her stools for the past 2 weeks have been the least best (if that makes sense!)....soft, not formed and yellowish brown.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Dec 2021, 22:03

Hey, Debbie. I don't know the answer, but I'd probably do the same. As I said before, Tucker routinely gets a pinch of Tylan, and does poorly without it. So, I'm a big fan. The research says to try slippery elm first, then add the probiotic, probably giving it a bit longer than what you've done so far. Oh, and I reduced the slippery elm, and I think it helped, too. ---Pam