Natural anxiety treatment?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Natural anxiety treatment?

Post by maya193 » 12 Nov 2021, 16:26

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had tried any natural anxiety treatments/regimens and if they worked. I always try to go natural whenever possible but understand some times pharmaceuticals are a must. Your insight and input are so appreciated! :)
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Natural anxiety treatment?

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Nov 2021, 23:22

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are lots of natural things you can give a dog, (and this includes an EPI dog) that can help with anxiety.
My favorites are
1. valerian
2. passion flower
3. combo extract of both valerian & passion flower
4. rescue remedy
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 12 Nov 2021, 23:43

Several years ago, a friend tried an Adaptil collar on her severely anxious dog and it worked wonders. She still swears by it. Best of all, it doesn't have to be consumed.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

maya193

Post by maya193 » 13 Nov 2021, 15:18

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I'm going to try them and see what works! :)
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 13 Nov 2021, 19:23

Hi. I've heard some owners EPI and non-EPI reporting good results using CBD for dogs HOWEVER I suggest consulting with your vet before trying it.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

sryze
State: Arkansas
Pet name: Dudu
My name: Sue

Post by sryze » 18 Nov 2021, 20:39

Most definitely check with your vet first. For our younger dog, it was not recommended, but our older dog DUDU has anxiety and arthritis issues, we found our vet told us to use this best cbd oil for dogs which turns out to be high quality and a part of the CBD community in whole.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2021, 15:18

CBD doesn't always work... i tried it on my 14+1/2 yr old dog with arthritis and it did nothing for her. Yet my neighbor used it for her dog also and it helped her. So please do chat with your vet first but know that it may or may not help............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

maya193

Post by maya193 » 21 Nov 2021, 10:29

So far the rescue remedy seems to be tempering the anxiety! So I'll stick with this for now! I've heard a lot about CBD as well...I guess it's like anything else...it works for some and not for others. :(

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 21 Nov 2021, 22:43

Just a thought - there's a product called a Thundershirt, too, which is designed to help cats and dogs with anxiety. Its like wearing a hug. It wraps around them like a blanket coat, but has extra panels to snug it up, so they feel swaddled.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

maya193

Post by maya193 » 27 Nov 2021, 08:28

Ooooo! I like that idea!!!! Maya doesn’t mind wearing coats etc so the shirt is worth trying! Thank you!!!! :)