How long do enzymes last once mixed with food?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
sarae
State: New Hampshire
Pet name: Rae
My name: Sara

How long do enzymes last once mixed with food?

Post by sarae » 24 Nov 2021, 15:30

While visiting family, our relatives insist on giving our girls treats. I’m considering mixing up some peanut butter with enzymes that could be spread on a small biscuit before giving it to our EPI pup. How long would that stay good for? Is it a matter of a couple hours? A couple of days? Longer?
Thank you!
Mom to Rae & Lucy. Rae is a 5 yr old lab mix diagnosed with EPI in July 2021 - now our little butterball after regaining weight! Lucy is a 1 yr old non-EPI doberman mix.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: How long do enzymes last once mixed with food?

Post by jilbert57 » 24 Nov 2021, 15:50

The way I would do it is have them feed a treat within 15 or so minutes of eating an enzymed, incubated meal.

I believe if you mix the enzymes with the peanut butter they will breakdown the peanut butter while waiting to be spread on the treat.

That being said maybe someone who has done this will let you know!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

secretlybees
Pet name: Katara
My name: Alex

Post by secretlybees » 15 Dec 2021, 00:19

I've made enzymed food up to 3 days in advance without any issue. Katara seems to digest just fine and have no issues with it

For treats, I try to give them within an hr of eating enzymes rather than mixing up specific treats with enzymes and all

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 15 Dec 2021, 11:17

In order to avoid bacteria buildup, we would enzyme some extra kibble and put very small amounts in ice cube tray compartments and freeze them. Then when our visitors wanted to give a treat, they would take out a frozen treat. We always kept an eye out for any negative effect on the poops.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Dec 2021, 15:01

we would always give "treats" with an enzymed something just before, but Kara was strange , as she hot older she could tolerate treats any time , but I wouldnt advise it

The enzymes are only meant to be viable for the meal they are given for

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx