Tucker may be backsliding

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Tucker may be backsliding

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Nov 2021, 19:07

After Tuck became stabilized, he stopped eating poo. For over two years we have not had to deal with this nasty habit. Recently, though, he has started doing it again, and I am at my wits' end, following him and his siblings all over the yard, at all hours, trying to get it picked up right away.

There are times when I just can't be there, and some of it may sit before I get to it. He is excellent at finding it, and every time I have to let him out ahead of my going, he finds some & eats it.

Increasing his food seems to do nothing but make him poop more, and still he eats it. I already give him 33% more than the bag suggests, and he hasn't lost weight. He takes B12 daily, even though his result was 666. For all the time I've been on the forum, I have assured new members that their pups would probably stop, once they were stabilized, and here I am, 2 1/2 years later, eating my words.

Any shared experience and words of wisdom would be so, so welcome. I am pulling my hair out over this. Thanks, friends --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Tucker may be backsliding

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Nov 2021, 22:41

ahhh... some times when members have written in with all of a sudden poop eating after being stable... that is often an indication of SID rearing it's ugly head.
My suggestions are:
1. try increasing the enzymes by a pinch (maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp) with each meal and see if that subsides the poo eating
2. you can also try adding a tsp of crushed pineapple to the meals (this is a poo eating deterrent... or.... sprinkle a pinch of ACCENT meat tenderizer on his food (also a deterrent)
Give the above at least 3 to 5 days and assess whether that helped.....

if not... and if you aren't giving a probiotic.... start ... or start again.
If you are already giving a probiotic and #1 didn't help..... then talk to your vet about a short course of Tylan.....maybe 14 or 30 days.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Nov 2021, 18:51

Thanks Olesia. He is one of those dogs that needs a pinch of Tylan daily, but recently after a full course including weaning off Tylan, he was back farting again after only a few weeks. I do think SID is a real problem for him. For some reason, he cries & sighs when he is lying around. I have been thinking his gums were hurting, from the enzymes( even though I rinse his mouth after he eats), but maybe it's his stomach.

I have a few Proviable capsules from awhile back. It's expensive, and I had finally decided I couldn't keep up with it, especially because I didn't see any big difference after a few months. Maybe the difference it makes is one that can't be seen.

I may try the pineapple or MSG, if the probiotic doesn't make a difference, but in my heart I think it's about his gut health, and I already have those capsules.

I really appreciate the help---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Nov 2021, 20:12

ahhh... so he might be what we call a tylan "lifer" if he truly needs a pinch daily. Some dogs just need it and there is no sense fighting it... even though it is worth trying other things first... if then simply don't work, then Tylan it is. AND yes... if he is moaning like, his tummy could very well be hurting him from SID... poor baby.

Let us know if a pinch of accent meat tenderizer helps with the poo eating or the crushed pineapple...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........