Our Trip To The Naturopath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Our Trip To The Naturopath

Post by Montgomery » 02 Dec 2021, 23:49

Today we made our way to our long awaited naturopath appointment. I have to say, it was the calmest, easiest veterinary appointment Montgomery has ever had. No snarl, growl, or shriek escaped his lips. In fact, the veterinarian had extreme difficulty getting him to stop purring to listen to his heart. He is in love with the technician and I think she's wearing more of his fur than he his. Unfortunately when he purrs like that, he also drools. Profusely.
So, while he was drooling on, shedding on, and head butting, nose rubbing the technician who was administering light therapy to his guts, the veterinarian and I had a good chat. He thinks the hyperventilation is part of his digestive problems. He wants to change his food. He does not want him to eat any dry food at all and wants him on a different wet food. This is going to take time, because anything with Montgomery takes a great deal of time, so as of today we've begun offering much less dry food and upped his wet food portions. Tomorrow we're going to begin adding egg to his existing wet food. I have to look up how to cook an egg. I'm a vegan person. I'm also supposed to eliminate one tylan dose and replace it with a drop of oil of oregano, which I have to find. He has a different probiotic containing L-Glutamine that is supposed to help restore the cilia (sp) in his intestines, but we aren't going to start that for a good while. He's recommended Weruva, Tiki Cat or Instinct wet food, and continued light therapy, which I can do at home. He quite liked it.
He had a mat on the exam table that looked like a gym mat except it was plugged in and sort of pulsated. He explained it was like a purr. Montgomery was so calm, that by the time we were ready to leave, he was starting to doze. He walked calmly out of the exam room and back to his stroller.
His usual veterinary appointments...Typically he growls at the veterinarian, screams, urinates, and generally resists anything she attempts to do with him as though his life depends on it. This was a nice change.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Our Trip To The Naturopath

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Dec 2021, 10:18

LOVE it!!!!!!!!! are they using cold laser light therapy or red light therapy.... years ago we worked with a dog with severe PLE (visualize super bad IBD) and the folks were ready to put him down cause nothing was helping... they started him on cold laser therapy and the dog had the same reaction... got very calm and got excited going for his laser therapy treatments!!!! And it helped him dramatically. Unfortunately though he went on to develop mega-colon and they eventually did put him down.
BUT..... I too have used cold laser therapy in the past after i broke my shoulder the 2nd time and i healed in half the time. I now go for cold laser treatment for lower back issues, and although i can't quantify it just yet... i swear it is helping (knock on wood!)

Regarding Oil of Oregano.... that truly does work with inflammation and bad viruses/bacteria..... but you have to get the right stuff and get explicit proper instructions on how much to use... as a matter of fact there is an EPI member in Canada that helped her dog using il of oregano instead of antibiotics for a bad bacterial infection... but, like i said, you have to know what you are doing.

Contact this company to get the right kind and quality Oil of Oregano
https://www.northamericanherbandspice.com/
.... AND.... talk to them, they will help you with which product and the right dosage for Montgomery.

I hope this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Dec 2021, 10:46

What an interesting post! So glad to hear Montgomery had a great vet appointment. A calming one. I hope this all helps.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 03 Dec 2021, 13:21

The veterinarian said one drop of oil of oregano in his food in lieu of Tylan. Its something that needs to be done at breakfast, I think, when he is very, very hungry. He has just been confronted by his first hard-cooked egg (thank you WWII cookbook) and wasn't sure what to do with it, but he did eat some of it. Some nutritional yeast helped it along. I showed it to him after I peeled it but before I smashed it and he gave me a pretty funny look. He wasn't sure of the OM either, the first day, but he eats it first now.
I'm glad you've had such positive results with the light therapy! I'm going to use it on Montgomery as well as Morgenne, who is nineteen and has arthritis. I'm really optimistic that this will make things easier. The veterinarian explained that it can help get things moving better, so hopefully less straining in the litter box.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Dec 2021, 14:47

Oil of Oregano is great stuff ... as long as you know what the right dosage is and that you get the right product..... i've been mulling over asking one of the EPi researchers i deal with "if" they think that it might be a holistic approach to dealing with SID vs. automatically reaching for Tylan....... to see if we can avoid using any antibiotics unless absolutely necessary...............

Please keep us posted!
P.S. Good that he now eats egg :):):)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Dec 2021, 07:06

Hey! I think I'd probably just boil the egg. Make sure the white gets done, to eliminate the possibility of salmonella. Start with cold water covering the egg(s)& bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and after about 13 minutes remove from heat and drain the hot water, replacing with cold. Let sit for several minutes.

Heads up---fresh eggs are hard to peel. Tap the big end on the counter and start peeling & try to get hold of the membrane. This will make peeling easier. Your first one will probably be a mess, but as long as you get all the shell off it doesn't matter.

I loved your post, too. ---PH
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 04 Dec 2021, 22:55

Thanks Pam. I have a cookbook from the Second World War so I dug that out. It said to put the egg into boiling water and let it go for fifteen minutes. Then I seem to remember my father dumping out the hot water and running cold water over the thing and then leaving it alone for awhile. When I smashed it against the counter top, it was easy to peel. After two days of consuming small amounts of egg in his food, Montgomery refused this morning. He just sat back and turned his head away and no amount of nose rubs or other cajoling could move him to try it. It would have been easier to convince a rock. This is why he's nine and a half years old. He has a stubborn streak a mile long. I gave him a break the rest of the day and will give him another day tomorrow, then start again on Monday. I never liked eggs either, so I can't say I blame him. I'm going to add the nutritional yeast to his "go" bag, as soon as I can get Kitty Kat to eat another jar of strained chicken.
Meanwhile, his light pad has shipped and should hopefully be here soon, and I'm researching wet cat foods to see what is reliably available. Here we go again!

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 03 Sep 2022, 14:19

Sorry, I know this is a really old thread. But I was searching for oregano, and this popped up.

It's something I want to try after I get SID better controlled.

Did you manage to even try it as an option? I know the stuff is great as a cat repellent! And I assume the caplets would be too much for a cat, and also very difficult to give regardless! I was looking at the caplets for my dog...if they are the right dose

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 03 Sep 2022, 15:22

Chance wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 14:19 Sorry, I know this is a really old thread. But I was searching for oregano, and this popped up.

It's something I want to try after I get SID better controlled.

Did you manage to even try it as an option? I know the stuff is great as a cat repellent! And I assume the caplets would be too much for a cat, and also very difficult to give regardless! I was looking at the caplets for my dog...if they are the right dose
I never did try the oregano because we've actually been able to wean him off the Tylan. Yesterday was his first official day of no Tylan in five years. It took four months to get him off of it. He does eat egg, though, every meal.

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 03 Sep 2022, 15:56

Montgomery wrote:
I never did try the oregano because we've actually been able to wean him off the Tylan. Yesterday was his first official day of no Tylan in five years. It took four months to get him off of it. He does eat egg, though, every meal.
I do add eggs to almost every batch of food. But is there another reason why the eggs are recommended? This batch of cooked food (1 week yield), I put in 3 eggs. It works out to about half an egg per day. (How much is supposed to be given for a 75 lbs barking cat 😁)?