Looking for feedback on enzyme product not listed on this site

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mrsbeldar
State: Washington
Pet name: Jenny
My name: Bev

Looking for feedback on enzyme product not listed on this site

Post by mrsbeldar » 04 Dec 2021, 11:20

Hi, my dog was recently diagnosed via blood test as having EPI, she is a Brussels Griffon cavalier King Charles mix, we believe. :D I was waiting for a long time for Diane’s Enzymes to ship so I purchased a product off Amazon made by Natures pHarmacy called pancreas support. It is slightly less expensive, doesn’t need to be soaked in water, and does seem to have improved her poops. Since Enzymes Diane has been endorsed so positively on this forum, I switched her to that product when it arrived. I am looking for feedback from anyone else who may be using or have tried the Dogzymes product who could give me more info on its efficacy. I would like to use up the dogzymes but want to make sure I am using a product that is good for her.

Thanks, Bev

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Re: Looking for feedback on enzyme product not listed on this site

Post by Shirl D. » 04 Dec 2021, 12:54

Hi Bev,

I don't have any experience with the Dogzymes, but I just looked it up on the Nature's Farmacy website, and it appears to be roughly equivalent to Diane's pancreatin 6X powder in terms of the lipase, protease, and amylase amounts, which are the important enzymes needed. It seems there are two main differences that I see. One, in addition to the porcine enzymes, the Dogzymes has added "fungal enzymes." I don't know anything about these, and whether that would have any added benefit or detriment. The Dogzymes also has added probiotics, which may be good for some dogs but not others. Every EPI dog responds differently to different probiotics. In my opinion, the bottom line here is how your dog did on them, since the amounts of lipase, protease and amylase seem fine. If your dog's poops were good, I'd say go ahead and use them up. If the poops improved on Enzyme Diane's pancreatin, then I would probably hesitate to go back to a product that didn't work as well.
As for not having to be soaked in water....our recommendation to mix the enzymes with water, mixed thoroughly with the food and then incubated is to avoid potential mouth sores. This would be a possibility for any enzyme product, because the enzymes themselves are caustic. Most dogs don't have a problem, and some dogs can eat the enzymes immediately without the waiting period, but other dogs are very sensitive to them and get mouth sores from the enzymes. There's no way to tell which dogs will get mouth sores, so we recommend it as a precaution for all dogs.
Good luck!

mrsbeldar

Post by mrsbeldar » 04 Dec 2021, 18:57

Thank you for the great reply, I learn more everyday and really appreciate your well thought out response!

Bev

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Dec 2021, 09:01

Hi Bev... SHirley gave a great analysis of DogZymes,,,,,, a few years back, i read some veterinarian research where they were trying to discover other modes of enzymes to treat EPI, and the research was focused on fungal enzymes. Technically it worked, but the 2 negatives were that it didn't work on all cases and at that time, producing fungal enzymes was rather expensive...... so, in short..... i agree with Shirley, if it helped your dog, then i would use it, (and i will add it to our list of enzymes).
It does have a combo of fungal and even some plant enzymes... along with a great list of probiotics and essential vitamins and MCT fats, overall, all good for EPI dogs except as SHirley pointed out, with our EPI dogs, one size does not fit all and that is why we like to recommend individual products vs. a product that includes multiple aspects of ingredients..... But again... if your dog did fine on it.... then well worth using. The only caution i would give is to always just be cognizant of your dog's condition (continue to check the poo output,) because sometimes with products that are not potent enough via all animal derived enzymes, we find that over time, SID becomes uncontrolled because the EPI condition is not fully address by the product you are using..... that being said..... some dogs have done well on other products.

THanks for letting us know that you have tried this product with success up to this point. And please do keep us posted!

A FEW HOURS LATER AFTER I TYPED THE ABOVE RESPONSE...... BEV.... I CONTACTED SHIRLEY PRIVATELY TO COMPARE WHAT WE WERE LOOKING AT AND HER AND I WERE LOOKING AT 2 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS BY DOGZYMES...... THE INFO I TYPED ABOVE IS IN REFERENCE TO DOGZYMES "COMPLETE"
https://naturesfarmacy.com/dogzymes-com ... onic-acid/

AND THE PRODUCT THAT SHIRLEY REFERENCED WAS DOGZYMES "PANCREAS SUPPORT" https://naturesfarmacy.com/dogzymes-pan ... otanicals/ WHICH DOES HAVE THE SAME PIG ENZYMES AND IN THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT THAT ENZYME DIANE'S PRODUCT AND PTHERS HAVE AND WHAT IS TYPICALLY RECOMMENDED.... BUT THIS PRODUCT ALSO INCLUDES ADDITIONAL SUPPORT PRODUCTS LIKE SHIRLEY MENTIONED AND THAT I ALLUDED TO THAT ALTHOUGH ALL TYPICALLY VERY GOOD FOR AN EPI DOG, ALL THE ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL GUT FLORA OF THE EPI DOG AND WHETHER OR NOT THEY WILL BENEFIT FROM THEM...

SO.................BASICALLY YOU GOT ASSESSMENT OF TWO PRODUCTS OF DOGZYMES..... AND I TOO AM CURIOUS NOW WHICH ONE YOU USED AND FOUND IT SUCCESSFUL.... SO THAT I MAY INCLUDE IT IN OUR LIST . THANKS :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 05 Dec 2021, 10:09

Bev, I just wanted to make sure that I found the right product when I looked it up, and that this is the one you have. Would you confirm this for me, please, because they have some other products that are not appropriate for our EPI dogs, as they have mainly plant based enzymes.
https://naturesfarmacy.com/dogzymes-pan ... otanicals/
Thanks!

mrsbeldar

Post by mrsbeldar » 25 Dec 2021, 11:22

Hi Shirl,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I used the Pancreas Support Product.

I really appreciate all your research and work getting information out here for us. I actually am switching her to the Enzymes Dianne product since I feel there is more data available on its success and I feel more confident having her take them over the long haul.

Best to you,
Bev