Milo back on Tylan

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Abby&Milo
State: Maine
Pet name: Milo
My name: Abby

Re: Milo back on Tylan

Post by Abby&Milo » 22 Sep 2018, 18:09

Stacie & Dizzy wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 09:27 Milo is gorgeous. I use TOTW pacific stream. My girl's poop's are really good on the 3% fiber. She does not do well on 4% fiber foods. I decided to switch because of the lawsuit last week. I went with Merrick Texas beef because it has 3.5% fiber. I ordered a small bag online and my girl did fine on it. No poop problems. I went to a local pet store to buy more and they said they don't carry Merrick because it was bought out by Purina. So my husband and I discussed it and decided just to keep her on TOTW because it seems like there is going to be something wrong with any brand of food you chose. I just have to look at the fact that she's been on it for years with perfect poops and gaining too much weight. I had to put her on a diet this week.
Thanks for your input! I agree that there can be something wrong with any brand. I feel that if our EPI babies are doing well on a certain food it makes it a bit harder to switch over to another brand. Still hard to make the right decision sometimes, or best decision. Right now I am about 50/50 pacific stream and sierra mountain. Hoping once I am 100% on pacific stream Milo's poop gets even better.

Milo has been on Tylan for about 2 weeks. His poops look really good other than still his walk poop is softer. Today he ran a lot with a golden doodle we met on the walk then had his poop and it was soft. The other day he actually didn't poop on the walk which was surprising. I also did hear some tummy gurgling the other night still. We still have a lot more time with the tylan but I feel like things are slowly heading in the right direction. He has been FULL of energy too :)
Milo is a 3.5yr old Standard Poodle. Diagnosed with EPI on 9/01/2017 at 1.5 yrs old. TLI <1
Food: TOTW Pacific Stream. 1 tsp of 6x Enzyme Diane per cup of food. Cooked ground beef, and sometimes a bit of sardines added to food as a small topper. One B12 pill with intrinsic factor added to food daily. One pump of salmon oil twice daily with each meal. 1/2 tsp of Slippery Elm morning and night with each meal. 10mg of Pepcid or Omeprazole once a day for acid reflux. Milo eats about 3+ cups of food per day with added toppings (free feeding). Current weight 41lbs, lowest weight was ~32lbs, and his weight before EPI signs was 38lbs. Very stable weight now. Go Milo! <3

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Sep 2018, 21:51

Glad to hear he's full of energy - it's so great when they start getting their energy back and are back to being themselves . :) . You're doing a great job - keep it up
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 23 Sep 2018, 04:24

Abby

just to say I have never been able to stop a maintenance dose of Tylan, 1/8th, or less, teaspoon,

she had a very bad SIBO attack, which started her shedding her bowel, so that was the end of that, it was horrible

Sounds like you are on top of things

I just love watching Standard Poodles run and jump, saw one yesterday after squirrels, really comical

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 24 Sep 2018, 21:36

AHHHH! This morning Milo got into his little sandwich bag of treats I keep on a table by the door (where we have pretty much ALWAYS kept them) I guess he decided to finally go after the bag and he ate ALL his treats :evil: I feed him lamb lung, the only treats he gets. He did eat some enzymed food this morning.

This evening after work I was playing fetch with him and all of a sudden he started eating grass like CRAZY, he couldn't stop. Looked like he got an attack of bad acid reflux, I've never seen it happen to him like that before. He has had occasional small bouts of it (at least what I think was acid reflux) This evening he acted like he was going to throw up but never did, just kept swallowing and acting like he was gagging. It went on for several minutes, he even whined a little :( Hes also had a bit of gas this evening

I am wonder if this acid reflux attack was related to him getting the treats this AM and/or if the Tylan just isn't fully clearing up the SIBO yet. I decided to add in 1/4 tsp of slippery elm to his food this evening. This is day 16 on the Tylan 2x a day. He seemed to do pretty well on the SE beforehand but I had discontinued it since restarting Tylan just wanted some advice about adding it back in, I know it may make the Tylan less effective?

His poop this evening was normal also., will wait and see what its like tomorrow morning...We are about 75% pacific stream now and 25% sierra mountain. I also did catch him eating a lot of grass the other day this past weekend, but I did not see any signs of the acid reflux like today. I just feel like the SE helped him in some ways the Tylan hasn't yet and I feel like I want to add it back in maybe 1/4tsp with his meals, not the full 1/2tsp I was doing yet.

Thanks in advance, I just don't want to see him have another bad bout of the acid reflux :( One step forward and another step back with Milo lol

Jean-sounds like your baby had an awful SIBO attack :( that would make me so sad to see. Milo may very well have to continue a maintenance does of Tylan...we will see. And yes, standard poodles do tend to have big personalities, Milo tends to be extra bouncy :)
Milo is a 3.5yr old Standard Poodle. Diagnosed with EPI on 9/01/2017 at 1.5 yrs old. TLI <1
Food: TOTW Pacific Stream. 1 tsp of 6x Enzyme Diane per cup of food. Cooked ground beef, and sometimes a bit of sardines added to food as a small topper. One B12 pill with intrinsic factor added to food daily. One pump of salmon oil twice daily with each meal. 1/2 tsp of Slippery Elm morning and night with each meal. 10mg of Pepcid or Omeprazole once a day for acid reflux. Milo eats about 3+ cups of food per day with added toppings (free feeding). Current weight 41lbs, lowest weight was ~32lbs, and his weight before EPI signs was 38lbs. Very stable weight now. Go Milo! <3

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Sep 2018, 23:38

Hi Abby,

Yes... it is perfectly fine to add the Slippery Elm back into his regimen... especially if it helped before... and the fact that you are trying things one-at-a-time/ then assessing the situation and making the next decision. GOOD job! Because SE it is a mucilage it will only very slightly inhibit some of the tylan action .... but most of the time, not enough to worry about. I personally give the slippery elm with tylan, and other meds... the ONLY time i don't give slippery elm with another med is when the other med is critical and the amount is very measured...

The grass eating, gagging, etc (and if he ever does any lip licking)..... those are usually indications of an upset tummy. The "extra" snacks could be the culprit or, as you also mentioned it could be that the Tylan has not fully addressed the upset tummy as expected.........if the acid reflux action appears to be addressed with the slippery elm.... i would definitely put him back on the SE and keep him on a maintenance amount of it going forward.

You are doing things right, trying stuff one-at-a-time.... it sounds like his poos(big picture) are overall improving, but just not there yet.

If a few weeks after the food transition is completed and you implemented slippery elm and if the poos still are not where they should be.... then it might be time to talk to your vet, explain that the Tylan is not really working as well as expected this time, explain that you also tried with changing food to a lower fiber content, and then you also tried adding slippery elm... and if things (after a reasonable amount of time of trying each of these) are still not where they should be ... then ask you vet if you might be at the juncture where you should try metronidazole instead of tylan. If Milo has not had an issue with Metro in the past- -no guarantees but sometimes (although rarely), tylan does not address the problem and metro does.... it all has to do with what bacterial imbalance is going on........... just another possible course of action later if things don't improve as well as expected.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 25 Sep 2018, 18:36

ok thanks so much for the help Olesia!

His poop this AM was pretty soft :/ No more acid reflux noticed and we did a long run/walk this morning too. Still lots of energy and he seemed fine, just not the best poop.

I will keep the metro in the back of my mind, Milo was on it before we started the EPI treatment and also back in his puppy days and it did help him I remember back then. Although during the time when we knew something was seriously wrong, when he was having the classic EPI signs, I can't really remember the Metro working all that well, but obviously that was before we had even started the enzymes. Either way he's never had an issue with it in the past

I'll keep you posted, thanks again!
-Abby&Milo

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Sep 2018, 19:09

Treating SID is a real pain in the butt.

~Years ago they treated with Metro.... and unfortunately many dogs simply did not improve.
~Then they happened upon Tylan and wow!!!! Most of the dogs dealing with SID improved..... but... (there always is a but, eh?! )... every so often along came a pup that did not respond as expected on Tylan... but when they switched to Metro.... things improved.

SO.......... this is why we suggest a switch if the Tylan does not seem to be working.........

Good Luck and Please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 27 Sep 2018, 09:26

My Piper was a Tylan lifer. As soon as I would stop, bad poops would start again. I had her on a maintenance dose of 1/8 tsp twice a day.

I was reading about the acid reflux. My non EPI dog, Koda, gets an upset tummy quite often, eats grass, vomits bile. When this happens or when he's refusing food, I give him a famotidine (Vet prescribed) and it's amazing how fast it works. He only gets one when he needs it. Maybe something you could speak with your vet about.
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 27 Sep 2018, 12:05

Good suggestion Judy for if the Slippery Elm does not appear to address the acid. Thanks for chiming in :)

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 17 Oct 2018, 17:04

Just wanted to do a Milo update!

So Milo has fully transitioned to TOTW pacific stream, he seems to loves it, hes eating well. Still doing Tylan 1/8 tsp twice daily, and 1/2 tsp of Slippery Elm with meals and still 1 B12 pill daily. He hasn't shown any more significant acid reflux signs but I'm still keeping an eye on this. His energy and mood has been great.

His poop, still specifically his walk one is still on the softer side, this AM it was soft but pretty small amount, so definitely an improvement from where we were before starting tylan again and switching to pacific stream. I think like others have said his poop may just be softer when hes more walk/exercise induced. If its not an exercise induced one it almost always is pretty perfect.

ALSO I weighed him the other week and he was 41.3lbs! He had gained a whole pound in one month!!! This is a big deal for us because he really had been stuck at 40lbs no matter how much he ate, so overall I think things are going in the right direction. :D :D

Thanks again for all the advice and help!
Abby&Milo