Milo back on Tylan

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Abby&Milo
State: Maine
Pet name: Milo
My name: Abby

Milo back on Tylan

Post by Abby&Milo » 09 Sep 2018, 15:46

I decided to start Milo on a course of Tylan again. We had a good stretch of consistent solid poops over the summer. We stopped Tylan in May after 45 days 2x daily and a long taper as well as adding back in Slippery Elm. Over the last few weeks I noticed his first morning poop is ALWAYS perfect. On our walk, which is also in the mornings he does another one, sometimes this one is perfect too, but more often than not now the last bit is softer and lighter in color again. A couple times he has had a perfect one on the start of the walk then halfway through he had another very soft one. Then yesterday he had a couple runny and light colored ones, not huge quantities like he has had before the first course of Tylan but still not how they should be. And finally last night I heard some tummy gurglings :(

I am hoping he will not be a Tylan lifer...I gave him the first does last night and again this morning and already his poop was better on the walk. I discontinued the Slippery Elm for now.

One thing i may try too is switching to TOTW Pacific Stream, which will have a bit lower fiber than the Sierra Mountain one...although I did see the news about the lawsuit...ugh

I feel like Milo is FAIRLY stable but not 100%..1 year later he is doing SO much better and it was great to see him have all his energy this summer compared to last summer when he was diagnosed.

One question: should I discontinue the Slippery Elm while taking Tylan twice daily, and then slowly add it back in like I did last time? I know it can decrease the effectiveness of the medication. Or maybe give it with one meal as long as it is separated by enough time?

Thanks!
Abby&Milo

Milo is a 3.5yr old Standard Poodle. Diagnosed with EPI on 9/01/2017 at 1.5 yrs old. TLI <1
Food: TOTW Pacific Stream. 1 tsp of 6x Enzyme Diane per cup of food. Cooked ground beef, and sometimes a bit of sardines added to food as a small topper. One B12 pill with intrinsic factor added to food daily. One pump of salmon oil twice daily with each meal. 1/2 tsp of Slippery Elm morning and night with each meal. 10mg of Pepcid or Omeprazole once a day for acid reflux. Milo eats about 3+ cups of food per day with added toppings (free feeding). Current weight 41lbs, lowest weight was ~32lbs, and his weight before EPI signs was 38lbs. Very stable weight now. Go Milo! <3

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Milo back on Tylan

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Sep 2018, 16:05

WOW, Milo is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( sounds like Milo's SID was indeed slowly getting uncontrolled again.... and you are right on target ....#1 try switching the food.

Glad you read the warning about TOTW Pacific Stream...so you are aware...... but i agree with you.....the lower fiber content really helped lots of folks so if you are willing, IMHO.... it is worth a try!

The only other thing i can think of is to maybe do a search on grain free dog foods with 3.0% fiber content.... and then READ the ingredients, make sure there is not a lot of peas/lentils in it................. see if anything bubbles up that might be good.

I just suggested a SPORT dog food to Sonja.... the fiber content is 3.9%...
https://sportdogfood.com/sporting-dog-g ... h-formula/
but all the ingredients are good and it is a fish based food.... absolutely no peas/lentils, etc..... so also might be an option. Per usual, what every you buy, buy the smallest bag possible just in case it doesn't work.........

Since you are trying a new food.... i would stop the slippery elm because you will still be on the Tylan course when you introduce the new food... and that is just to many variables. Also.... if the new food works, you may not need the Slippery Elm... just save for future if needed...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Sep 2018, 21:02

I totally agree with what Olesia has posted.
Just for a reference, I have had 5 dogs over the past 25 years but none have had EPI. Mickey had chronic pancreatitis. They all have gotten exercise induced diarrhea. Just thought I would throw this in as my dogs poops are great first thing then if I take them running they get looser.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 09 Sep 2018, 22:01

Olesia- THANKS! I did actually see that post about the Sport dog food. Good to know, I think I will try TOTW Pacific Stream...I did read some peoples comments about the lawsuit online, it is a concern in the back of my mind :o Milo seems to LOVE fish too so I think it will be a good change. I did see that the Sport dog food had some chicken fat in it (at least the grain free one with fish), I used to give Milo chopped chicken in his food daily then once the EPI set in I have cut out the chicken completely and that's why I switched to ground burger. Not sure how chicken would affect him now but we have come so far I never have added it back in...ALSO TOTW is cheaper and conveniently at a tractor supply store near our house. So fingers crossed nothing bad will come of all this lawsuit stuff!

Jill- I also have thought about the exercise induced looser stools. It's also like if Milo is on a walk he feels he has to poop even though he may not really need to haha. He is always off leash on the walks, we walk wooded trails so of course he runs A LOT, he is extremely active. It is a good point to make, while on the Tylan I will have to really keep track of how his poops are doing specifically on the walk-back to the journal :)
Milo is a 3.5yr old Standard Poodle. Diagnosed with EPI on 9/01/2017 at 1.5 yrs old. TLI <1
Food: TOTW Pacific Stream. 1 tsp of 6x Enzyme Diane per cup of food. Cooked ground beef, and sometimes a bit of sardines added to food as a small topper. One B12 pill with intrinsic factor added to food daily. One pump of salmon oil twice daily with each meal. 1/2 tsp of Slippery Elm morning and night with each meal. 10mg of Pepcid or Omeprazole once a day for acid reflux. Milo eats about 3+ cups of food per day with added toppings (free feeding). Current weight 41lbs, lowest weight was ~32lbs, and his weight before EPI signs was 38lbs. Very stable weight now. Go Milo! <3

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Sep 2018, 13:00

hi there

He is lovely

we met a cross between a standard poodle and a Golden retriever last week

unbelievably beautiful, the stance and coat of the poodle, and the rest Golden Ret

I just want to say hello and reiterate the use of a journal

jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Sep 2018, 22:05

Hi to you and your extremely handsome Milo. My non-EPI girl will ALWAYS poop on a walk regardless if she really needs to or not - needless to say she has NEVER had an off poop in her life, EXCEPT when we go for a walk - then it will be very soft - walking induced poop is what I call it. My EPI boy will often have a much softer poop as well if I take him on a walk. Just thought I'd mention it as well.

Keep us posted on how the changes go and be sure to keep your detailed journal.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 10 Sep 2018, 22:13

Love your Milo, he is beautiful!
I also feed TOTW and thought long and hard about switching, but my girl has done so well on it and like you it is easily available and reasonably priced at a near by Tractor Supply.....
Hard decision to make but I'm sticking with it for now.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 11 Sep 2018, 10:40

Madelon wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 22:05 Hi to you and your extremely handsome Milo. My non-EPI girl will ALWAYS poop on a walk regardless if she really needs to or not - needless to say she has NEVER had an off poop in her life, EXCEPT when we go for a walk - then it will be very soft - walking induced poop is what I call it. My EPI boy will often have a much softer poop as well if I take him on a walk. Just thought I'd mention it as well.

Keep us posted on how the changes go and be sure to keep your detailed journal.
Thank you! good information to know :) This morning he did two poops on the walk, first was perfect second after running around was softer, so he may also be a dog that has walking/exercise induced soft poop. I did hear some loud tummy noises last night briefly so I'm sure some of the softer poop hes been having is SIBO related too. So far they are a bit better after starting the Tylan the other day. Luckily he takes the medicine pretty well.

Abby&Milo

Post by Abby&Milo » 11 Sep 2018, 10:50

Riley's Mom wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 22:13 Love your Milo, he is beautiful!
I also feed TOTW and thought long and hard about switching, but my girl has done so well on it and like you it is easily available and reasonably priced at a near by Tractor Supply.....
Hard decision to make but I'm sticking with it for now.
Thanks!! :) I know I am really torn about keeping him on TOTW. He seems to do pretty well on the Sierra Mountain kind and I really think he will love pacific stream but I hate some of the things I have read about it recently :( It is a hard decision, but for now I really do want to stick with this brand and just switch him to a bit lower fiber found in the pacific stream. I haven't started switching him yet because I wanted to do some more research...

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 20 Sep 2018, 09:27

Milo is gorgeous. I use TOTW pacific stream. My girl's poop's are really good on the 3% fiber. She does not do well on 4% fiber foods. I decided to switch because of the lawsuit last week. I went with Merrick Texas beef because it has 3.5% fiber. I ordered a small bag online and my girl did fine on it. No poop problems. I went to a local pet store to buy more and they said they don't carry Merrick because it was bought out by Purina. So my husband and I discussed it and decided just to keep her on TOTW because it seems like there is going to be something wrong with any brand of food you chose. I just have to look at the fact that she's been on it for years with perfect poops and gaining too much weight. I had to put her on a diet this week.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.