Introduction

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Introduction

Post by Jean » 31 Dec 2021, 08:37

scambled egg and mashed potato was my fall back with Kara , but she demanded it every night for life

I peronally dont advocate rice , and Kara was protein intolerant she could have lamb, and that was about it, chicken in dog food seems to have adverse responses in EPI dogs , but Kara could eat fresh cooked chicken, I remember asking my vet about chicken in dog food we wasnt complemtary at all

you are going to have such fun, and one of our members has a puppy so like him , Creon is the one in Australia that is recommended by our members, and used successfully

and a question not asked is an oportunity missed
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Dec 2021, 17:20

Personally, Teila, if Ziggy's poops are good, I would not mess with success, especially since not many of us have experience with such a young dog. They do say, after all, "It's all about the poop!" When things go downhill (do not despair if this happens), then you may want to do some tweaking. Puppy chow has more calories than dog chow, of course.

PEAS---my understanding is, peas are bad when the protein they contain is figured into the count, and substituted for animal protein. I don't believe peas are bad, per say, but dog food companies have used them in their grain-free formulas & have caused this confusion. I THINK so, anyway.

Happy New Year!---Pam & Tucker, who is terrified of fireworks & our neighbors are nuts, so I'll be a couch potato tonight.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 31 Dec 2021, 17:22

Sounds like you had fun on your shopping trip. Of course, you had to get a bunch of toys!

I obviously was looking at the wrong food since the food you have selected does not contain grains. I'm still not a fan of the by products in the dry version, but the choice to avoid them is a matter of personal preference and has nothing to do with whether or not Ziggy will tolerate the food from an EPI standpoint. There is nothing in the food that is a known problem for dogs with EPI. It's great that you know about the meat roll in case the dry food doesn't work out for some reason. I always like to have a backup plan.

Teila
Pet name: Ziggy
My name: Teila

Post by Teila » 03 Jan 2022, 17:40

While I do not have a date for Ziggy's arrival yet, I do have some good news! My sister (Kathy) was able to get her hands on the previously mentioned puppy-kibble I was able to source locally and he appears to be tolerating it, which is awesome as it gives me a nice baseline to work with.

Boiled egg, carrot and chicken breast also appear to be tolerable. Poops are good!

Pre-kibble and just on the Advance wet, he had managed to creep up to 4 kg; meaning his weight gain is still a little slow, but while having a growth spurt; I am hopeful his weight gain will improve with the kibble. Kathy did mention she can definitely feel more of a fat covering on his body (happy dance!). On the videos you can see that he is smaller compared to his sister and I doubt he will ever reach full standard size but understandable due to his rocky start to life. However, he looks very happy and is a cheeky little munchkin!

I tossed up whether to keep Ziggy's food journal electronically or in a book; I went with a book so that if I do have to travel or even leave Ziggy at the Vet's, I will be able to hand over his journal to whoever is caring for him with all the do's and don’ts and as a guide to his baseline diet.

So now I am ready for his arrival. I wanted to get everything done so that when he arrives, he will be able to settle and get into a routine without me changing things around too much.

Thanks again for all your help .. now we wait; not patiently! :lol:
Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 03 Jan 2022, 19:18

Such great news all around! Except for the nasty waiting, of course!

Teila

Post by Teila » 03 Jan 2022, 20:58

We have a date!! Friday 14th January .. currently looking at excited in the rear view mirror!

Also, latest update on the kibble is a definite thumbs up!
Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy

Jane&Clyde

Post by Jane&Clyde » 03 Jan 2022, 23:20

Yay! Less than 2 weeks!! The countdown begins.

Teila

Post by Teila » 10 Jan 2022, 21:02

Great News! The kibble is working! Ziggy is now gaining weight at a nice rate; he has a belly for the first time! His coat has improved and looks much more conditioned and his bone structure is not so 'fine'.

We are definitely in the countdown phase now with an arrival time of approximately 5:30 pm on Friday; after his 3 days on the road, we still have 1.5 hours to drive home after picking him up and once home, no more long road trips!

Kathy has been battling with lighting to get a nice picture of his eyes and finally succeeded yesterday .. if I wasn't already in love, I would be now!

Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Jan 2022, 19:52

TEILA! His face looks perfectly symmetrical! And those EYES!!! Oh YEA, only a couple more days!! If he has good poop, my thought would be keep at it, unless something changes.--Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Teila

Post by Teila » 02 Feb 2022, 21:43

Well, it has been a roller coaster ride to this point but to sum it up:

We had Ziggy re-tested for EPI following a 12 hour fast; plus Faecal PCR.

The results are back and he does not have EPI! EPI range is 5.2 to 34 and Ziggy was >50

He could have pancreatitis but we will need to do another blood test for that.

The interesting bit .. his faecal PCR came back:

Positive for Campylobacer jejuni.

High range for Clostridium perfingens.

Positive for ?CPE (not totally sure on that)

As far as I can tell, basically a dysentery-type (enteritis) thing going on which the Vet honestly said he did not know a lot about and would have to do some research, talk to the pathologist etc.

He also honestly said that he did not know if he could 'fix' him at this stage because he needed to do said research etc before making any call on that. He did, however, say that he could see a round of antibiotics in Ziggy's future.

I am optimistic that we can beat this .. it has not killed him yet and he has been sick since he was 7 days old but I will have to wait to hear back from the Vet. At present, we are keeping him on the same diet and medication until we know more. In himself, while he is still a bit thin and alternates between good poops and not so good poops, he has gained some weight and is a happy little man!

The response to the Creon is probably coincidental but the bug could also be upsetting his pancreas which could explain the Creon response.

Now we wait …………..
Warm Regards
Teila & Ziggy