Update on Lucy and recommendation needed

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
wsantschi
State: Texas
Pet name: Lucy
My name: Bill

Update on Lucy and recommendation needed

Post by wsantschi » 05 Jan 2022, 13:35

Our Lucy, a 4-year-old GSD was diagnosed last September 10th. She had lost 18+lbs...weighing in at 59 lbs. Fortunately we caught the EPI early and were able to act quickly (Huge thanks to Olesia Kennedy and Diane Sloan for their genuine concern and helping us through this ordeal) Got through the Tylan and Cobalamin regimens without a hitch. Enzymes by Diane 6x are working beautifully. Had the beginnings of a setback in early December as a result of me trying to cut enzymes by a 1/4 tsp per meal. But, Lucy recovered in just a couple of days and has been "poop-perfect" ever since.. She weighed in this morning at 74.3 lbs! She looks terrific!

We've been feeding her 4.5 cups of Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach/Skin over three meals per day. Does anyone have an opinion on going back to 2 meals per day and cutting back to an amount which is closer to the package recommendations, which is 2.5-3.25 cups/day?

Thank you!
Bill Santschi

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Update on Lucy and recommendation needed

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 05 Jan 2022, 19:35

Hi!

This is all wonderful news! Is she getting fat? Tucker joined the Chunky Monkey Club for awhile, and that's when I cut back on his portion. So, it's your call, whether she needs to gain more weight, or is she perfect?

Tucker eats twice a day, and he does eat a bit more than what the package recommends, because if I don't overfeed him a little, he starts eating poop again. His weight is stable.

Like most everything concerning EPI, it is always a little bit of trial and a little bit of error, but these problems are so much better than what we were dealing with before!

---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 05 Jan 2022, 20:54

Congratulations for getting your pup well.

If everything is going smoothly personally I would not make a change. Or if too heavy I would lower the amount of food but still spread it out over 3 meals.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Jan 2022, 23:58

Some (or rather many!) EPI dogs tend to need a wee bit more food than what is listed on the packages... BUT... others don't.
If you want to "try" cutting back on some food only reduce a small % of 1 of the daily meals... and see how it goes.
Or.. leave things as they are since all is going well :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 06 Jan 2022, 06:45

I would reduce very slowly , cutting enzymes never worked for us

Kara had two meals a day, and an evening meal of Scrambled egg and mashed potato. all enzymed the evening meal wasnt big at all it just keeps them going through the night

if she is used to three meals then maybe just cut back slightly on the portion size, her body will be used to that regime, and probably need it
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

RosietheRedLab
Pet name: Rosie

Post by RosietheRedLab » 06 Jan 2022, 14:14

We cut Rosie down from 4 cups (1 cup/4x day) down to 3 cups per day once she was up to her target weight. However, she slowly started losing weight again. Now we feed her 3 or 4 cups per day depending on our work schedules, and she seems to be back to maintaining her goal weight. I guess this just reinforces what everyone has said about trial and error!
Diagnosed August 2021: TLI <1.0, Cobalamin 329, Folate 16

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jan 2022, 20:01

Yep.... effectively managing EPI is indeed all about Trial and Error...... best to keep a journal! :D
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

wsantschi

Post by wsantschi » 09 Jan 2022, 10:55

Thank you all for your thoughts. We've cut her her back by a 1/4 cup per meal...still sticking to 3 meals/day. She's doing very well.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jan 2022, 12:33

keep an eye on her weekly weight going forward to assess whether this is enough or still too much food.... and please keep us posted. You are doing a great job!

wsantschi

Post by wsantschi » 12 Jan 2022, 17:10

Thanks so much, Olesia! We're having a good run at the moment...fingers/paws crossed!!