Want to change from PancrePlus...question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
fayster
State: Texas
Pet name: Moose
My name: Fay

Want to change from PancrePlus...question

Post by fayster » 13 Jan 2022, 10:19

Our bernedoodle Moose is doing well on PancrePlus powder but the cost is killing us! I'm glad to discover that there are other options such as Dogzymes and EnzymesDiane. Have read through posts regarding dosage but my question is this: we sprinkle the current powder on his food and he is totally happy eating it like that. Not wet, not soaked. No apparent side effects. But I see that the recommendation for Diane's product includes wetting it and letting it sit for 30 minutes. Does anyone just sprinkle it on and just go for it?

Thanks!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Want to change from PancrePlus...question

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jan 2022, 12:47

No matter what brand of powdered enzymes you are using you really need to mix in something "wet" to avoid mouth sores.
The right amount of powered enzymes to effectively treat EPI are VERY caustic.

Is the food that you are feeding canned, or soft food or real human food.....as all this does have some liquid concentration ... but if you are feeding simple dry kibble, please start wetting the kibble or just add some kind of topper to it to moisten the enzymes to avoid possible mouth sores. That's the last thing you need.

As far as the incubation goes... we recommend that ALL brands of powdered enzymes be allowed to "incubate" for approximately 20 minutes.... also an extra step to avoid possible mouth sores... and quite honestly some dogs do so much better when the enzymes are incubated even though a clinical trial years ago indicated that incubation was not necessary... we have had way too many dogs not do well when this wasn't done. But... each dog is different and if your does fine without any incubation, then i wouldn't worry about this part... but i would definitely be sure that the food has moisture in it from some source.

If i am looking at the right stuff... DogZymes is NOT the appropriate enzymes to give an EPI dog although it has a lot of good ingredients in it so they may help a but not completely and you don't want to give something that is not proper to treat EPI because then you encourage SID to get out of control.
But i might be looking at the wrong product. Can you please share with us the link to the DogZymes product you are considering....so i can verify if it is appropriate or not.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 13 Jan 2022, 13:44

Olesia, there is a product called Dogzymes Pancreatic Support Pancreatin 6x that has the appropriate amount of enzymes, plus it has some probiotics and other things in it. The dosing instructions they give are incorrect. You can find it at https://naturesfarmacy.com/dogzymes-pan ... otanicals/. I don't know if this is the one being referred to or not.

fayster
State: Texas
Pet name: Moose
My name: Fay

Post by fayster » 13 Jan 2022, 14:02

Thanks Olesia for your reply. We have been putting it on dry kibble for 3 years now with no ill effects. However, I supposed that doesn't mean he won't develop them.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jan 2022, 14:04

Ahhhh... thanks for the link.

Has the right amount of animal enzymes and the add'l ingredients are good too... but interesting that they only say "animal" enzymes... they do not specify.... so this may or may not be a problem.... i think i'd call the company and ASK what specific animal glands are used... cause that sure can make a difference in the dosing amount,
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 13 Jan 2022, 14:46

I looked at the listing again, and it's a little strange. In the description, they specify "porcine", but in the ingredients list, they only say "animal".
Last edited by Jane&Clyde on 13 Jan 2022, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jan 2022, 15:09

yes... that is odd..... and it might give them wiggle room as to what animal it is ALL sourced from and that could cause dosing discrepancies.... or they may use only pig glands.... in any case... i'd call the company first before purchasing to get clarification.