Enzyme Diane concern with increased cost

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: Enzyme Diane concern with increased cost

Post by Barb » 20 Jan 2022, 18:50

Thank you, Debbie and Diane for your enlightening information.

And yay, Jean! We are behind you all the way. Candles lighted!

Barb

borisbo12

Post by borisbo12 » 31 Oct 2022, 06:23

we used EnzymeDiane's 6x for 13+1/2 yrs and NEVER had any issues. If anyone has questions or issues, they can contact Diane and speak with her directly. the good thing about EnzymeDiane's enzymes is that they are USDA (American) sourced... where as a lot of the other generic enzymes the pancreatic glands are sourced from China .... the brand names, although good... are much more expensive then the generic brands.

However... because you have a small breed dog, although the brand names are more expensive, you do not use as much as someone with a large dog that has to use more... so expense, although an issue, is not as big of an issue as it is for some.....

When i first started using enzymes i was given Pancrezyme.... and they were good but expensive. That is why i switched to EnzymeDiane.
99.9% of the time when folks think there is an issue with the enzyme it is either not being administered properly, the food is not optimal and usually what they are really seeing are SID symptoms ... not that the enzymes are not working. If SID is not fully controlled (and ANY little thing can throw it out of whack!) it can look like the problem is the enzymes cause it coincides with a change in enzymes.

Problem though, is if you are in Canada, there could now be a problem with getting the generic enzymes shipped to Canada from the USA or other countries...... so you very well may have to start with brand name enzymes until all this virus stuff is done with and supplies are more plentiful.

In running this website & forum for 12 years and from working closely with the veterinarian researchers, what i can share with you is that overall powdered enzymes like the brand name enzymes and generic enzymes are much more stable and consistent to use in treating an EPI dog. CREON works, but is tricky to get right for each individual EPI dog... but the reason why we are thankful to have the CREON option is because not all countries around the world have access to the powdered enzymes like we do in the western hemisphere. So that is when CREON is used and is used successful but after much trial and error. Also... some dogs with severe allergies to pork actually do better with CREON vs. trying the alternative beef pancreas enzyme products. Also.... just in case you get pills, no matter what brand, they will need to be crushed into a powder and extra given. However, with CREON or any other "enteric" coated product you do not crush the pill or incubate it...

Raw pancreas can also be used, but with raw, the potency of the gland is not consistent from one gland to the next which you always have to be aware of and ready to up the amount given.

Considering everything that is going on right now and the fact that you are in Canada.... for now if your dog is EPI positive, i would go with a brand name, any one of the ones that Michaela mentioned......at least until things settle down, and then if you want, check into the generic brands later....depending on what is available and what you can get into Canada.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Oct 2022, 09:38

Good afternoon from the UK

I have copied this from your post and am confused

"In running this website & forum for 12 years and from working closely with the veterinarian researchers, what i can share with you is that overall powdered enzymes like the brand name enzymes and generic enzymes are much more stable and consistent to use in treating an EPI dog. CREON works, but is tricky to get right for each individual EPI dog... but the reason why we are thankful to have the CREON option is because not all countries around the world have access to the powdered enzymes like we do in the western hemisphere. So that is when CREON is used and is used successful but after much trial and error. Also... some dogs with severe allergies to pork actually do better with CREON vs. trying the alternative beef pancreas enzyme products. Also.... just in case you get pills, no matter what brand, they will need to be crushed into a powder and extra given. However, with CREON or any other "enteric" coated product you do not crush the pill or incubate it...!"

are you running your own website
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

borisbo12

Post by borisbo12 » 01 Nov 2022, 14:39

no i am independent but i have another website link about calendars.