Enzyme Diane concern with increased cost

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Enzyme Diane concern with increased cost

Post by Jean » 16 Jan 2022, 06:55

Good morning from the UK

I thought I would just throw in what is happening in UK

The regulations have changed dramatically since Brexit and the manufacturers over here e.g. Lypex Chemeyes etc. cannot ship to EU

This is because they now say that as it is a supplement, the porcine element which is an animal product has to be heat treated, rendering it useless

the only way round this is to change it to a prescription DRUG incurring a licence and costs, and going through DEFRA in UK.

I have had many private emails people who now cannot get Lypex and Panzym any longer in EU, fortunately a company based both in UK and EU are now making Panzym at much the same values as before , but suggesting people use 20% more

I am totally bewildered at this uncompromising stance over here but thats life , at one point they were going to stop any imports of the enzyme ingredients, I had a lovely conversation with DEFRA on that subject and they backed down for now !

I really feel for you all of you over there, and as has been said, Diane is so approachable, and big business generally are not , and would certainly not help out in emergencies like Di does.

I have to admit to not being wholly conversant with the product, and looked it up, 500 grams is roughly $120.00 which is roughly the same cost as Enzyme Diane at the moment $20.00 difference

When I had Kara I wouldnt have changed her enzymes as I was too scared , and of course its up to the individual , but the cost of those two items are comparible, and you cannot control the basic economic trends and compnies going out of business and putting prices up if they still exist, and this has happened to Diane

I just hope things level out
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Jan 2022, 07:43

Jean---

WOW, and thanks for advocating for dogs in the UK & EU! I agree, Diane is helpless in this situation, and has saved me a bundle over these past three years, so I intend to support her product. I trust her, absolutely. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 16 Jan 2022, 08:02

maya193 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 14:09 Question about Pantenex....Do they source from Germany and distribute from the US? I'm confused because I noticed a comment on their website and label and was just looking to see if anyone could clarify. Thanks much! "Product of Germany, packaged in the USA"......
I would contact them to get an answer. We've been using Pan-Tenex for many years after Nikki lost her insurance and paying $300 a bottle for Viokase was not an option.

https://www.facebook.com/pantenex/?ref=page_internal

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

maya193
State: Rhode Island
Pet name: Maya
My name: Debbie

Post by maya193 » 16 Jan 2022, 10:10

Olesia711 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 19:38 "Question about Pantenex....Do they source from Germany and distribute from the US? I'm confused because I noticed a comment on their website and label and was just looking to see if anyone could clarify. Thanks much! "Product of Germany, packaged in the USA"......

Yes, Pantenex source from Germany but the bigger question is where does Germany get THEIR raw pig glands from........................

And yes, that is correct.... Pantenex is packaged in the USA. There are many companies (across the board) that do this..... this is not uncommon.......where a product is processed in one country and yet packaged in another country....
I'm reaching out to them to get clarification on a few things. I'm a scientist by training and the language on their website just leads me to even more questions. LOL! SO I'll let you know what I find out. HOWEVER with that said I am a firm believer that if something works then stick with it! ;) And as we know what works for one person doesn't always work for another person/fur baby..... :)
Maya is a belgian mal/german shep diagnosed with EPI on 10/12/21. TLI 1.2, B-12 196, Folate 4.8. Currently on Maximum K-9 raw diet, beef and vegetable, Enzyme Diane, Wonderlabs B-12 with IF, Proviable and Slippery Elm.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2022, 11:16

well said..... and very typical of EPI doggies.....that's why we often have to "tweak" the recommended EPI protocol until we find the right balance of the EPI protocol of what works for our very unique, special and very much loved EPI companion :)

I am also very interested in what you find out when you contact Pantenex....and thank you for pursuing this :) The more detailed disclosure... the more informed we are .... is always a good thing.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 16 Jan 2022, 12:55

Hi Debbie

Thanks for that

I have learned that you have to write every question down and throw it at them nicely

I hate to blow my own trumpet, but I will, the man at Panzym said I knew more than he did, and some questions he would never have expected, he was lovely

DEFRA was another issue but I stood my ground, and the guys who know me know thats my thing, dog with bone attitude !

Good luck, and let us know, ask them where they get their ingredients from , over here they would HAVE to tell you under "freedom of information" maybe you have something like that over there

I miss my EPI girl so much we had her 10 years and 9 with EPI , we lost her to DM , its a horrible condition, and I would have 10 EPI dogs rather than DM

Cheers and love

Jxx

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

ssmith
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Harmony

Post by ssmith » 16 Jan 2022, 20:16

I have been using Bio Case plus powder with Harmony for a couple weeks and she has done wonderful on them! I payed just under 200 USD for a bottle that is 2.2lbs. It should last around 3-4 months and the price is very reasonable. Just a thought:)

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 17 Jan 2022, 05:19

All thoughts welcome

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 17 Jan 2022, 05:31

Jean, how about taking on the British Veterinary Association? They can’t just sit by and watch the mess.
If they’ve heard of Epi.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jan 2022, 11:05

Jean...

I agree with Patsy... and of course EPi4Dogs will support you all the way..... look at the actual EPI stats on our home page....... EPI concerns are much more prevalent than what anyone thought.............................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........