Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
princeapollo
State: New York

Post by princeapollo » 11 Sep 2018, 21:47

Hi Everyone,
My boy Apollo is a 9 months old German Shepard and newly diagnosed with EPI. We have ordered our enzymes and now are just awaiting delivery. This is all new to me so I can use any tips you have with meal prep using the enzyme. I will be feeding kibble with can mixed in. Should I still mix warm water in? Does anyone make a larger batch to have ready for several days?

Thanks I am happy to be a member of this forum and look forward to learning alot from all you experienced EPI parents.

Shonda

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: New Member

Post by Madelon » 11 Sep 2018, 21:57

Hi Shonda - welcome to our EPI family!! I'm so sorry you have to be here but this is definitely the best place to get the best information/suggestions regarding EPI management.

First, can you post your pups test scores - TLI, B12 and Folate? It will help us better be able to offer suggestions.

There are four cornerstones to managing EPI: Enzymes (most of us use EnzymeDiane Pancreatin 6x as her enzymes are WAY less expensive than the vets rx enzymes. Starting dose for enzymes is 1tsp per cup of kibble (regardless of the brand of powder you are using), mix with luke warm water and mix with kibble, wait 20-30 minutes before serving; B12 (EPI dogs need their B12 on the high side of normal 600+ - supplementing B12 is for life with these dogs - a lot of us use WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 as it has intrinsic factor which helps with absorption); Antibiotics (if dealing with a bad case of SID we recommend Tylan for 45 days - however, when first dx we recommend using the proper enzymes, B12 and food recommendations to see if the gut corrects itself before trying antibitiocs); Food (we recommend grain free, 4% fiber or less and try to avoid chicken and peas).

EPI can be very overwhelming in the beginning, we've all been there and we are here to help guide you through the journey! It's manageable and affordable but it takes a village to raise these pups so please know you are not alone.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

princeapollo

Post by princeapollo » 11 Sep 2018, 22:09

This will sound crazy but when the vet called me to give me the test results I never wrote anything down. I don't even remember her telling me the B12 level. It was a bad week with Apollo having an xray and being diagnosed with Hip Dyplasia and EPI. We just started with Adequan injections and cold laser therapy 2x a week. I will be back to the vet on Thursday and will ask for a copy of the EPI test results. I did order my 6x enzyme from Diane Enzyme.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2018, 05:25

nothing sounds, or is, crazy on this forum

Maybe they will email them to you, and then you have a copy

Hip Dysplasia.... lousy but at least you know

the vets will want you to keep Apoll's weight under control, but EPI needs to be addressed

we recommend that you feed 150% of the food for the weight he should be, and split into a few meals if you can

can you tell us how the EPI test came about, and what weight is he now

people are here to answer, just ask

and keep a journal , its amazing what you learn from it

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

TankTank

Post by TankTank » 12 Sep 2018, 09:46

Hang in there buddy. These folks give great advice on everything epi and beyond. Main thing i learned every dog is different and keep a log and trust in the poop. Even my vet said we dont need to run another tli test unless the poop says something else. as long as poop is good epi is managed .
Tank GSD Born jul 22 16, diag EPI 22 months, TLI 06/08/18 b12 181,folate 22 TLI <1, TLI 08/15/18 b12 423 folate 12 TLI <1.0, Acana Lamb 2c 1c 2c mixed with 4 2 4 ounces fresh beef pancreas,liquified and mixed room temp, 6 hours, fortiflana probiotic, monthly b12 8cc, highest weight 93lbs(too chunky)lowest 73, current 82. Hate this disease.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2018, 10:05

Tanks parent, you have that right in one go

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 12 Sep 2018, 11:04

Hi Shonda,

Welcome to our EPI family. You have received excellent advice. We also recommend keeping a daily log/journal. Record everything you give your pup--food, enzymes, medication, B12, etc., the amounts, and the resulting poos. This will tell you what is working and what needs to be tweaked. It also keeps everything in one place.....It saved our sanity.

The beginning is the hardest stage as you try to get everything balanced and worry about your pup. We all remember what that is like. Try not to be overwhelmed.....although you probably will feel that way.

Ask any questions that you have.

Barb

princeapollo

Post by princeapollo » 12 Sep 2018, 19:20

Apollos history.....I got him from a breeder when he was 10 weeks old. I immediately made an vet appointment. He was found to have parasites and Ghardia, everything else seemed fine. He again tested positive for Ghardia at 6 months. He has always had soft stool on and off and also ate dirt and his own poop. When I asked the vet about that(several times) they just kept saying oh that is just puppy stuff. I also asked about his weight and size I felt he looked skinny. Two weeks ago he starting limping and was having a hard time getting up. I took him to the vet and this time we saw a different vet in the same office. She did an evaluation on him and said she wanted to do an xray and he would have to be sedated. I then went on to say....I am concerned that he always has soft stool and doesn't seem to be gaining weight. he also eats dirt and his own poop. To my surprise the vet says let me tell you about EPI. She said there is only one lab in the US who tests for it and the dog has to be fasting when we take the blood. he has all the symptoms and I think we should test him. He had to fast for the sedation so it made sense to have the blood drawn then. It took alittle over a week to get the results. When the vet called me I remember her saying the range was something like 4.5-45?? He tested at the low range of normal I think around 8(I will have the actual info on Thursday). She recommended an enzyme that they would have to special order. I told her about Diane Enzyme, so she went on the website and told me to order the 6x. She also told me to start on the low end and use 1/2 tsp per cup of food. I am part of a GSD group on FB and posted on there to get feedback concerning EPI. They all recommended I come to this Forum for the best advice. Apollo is currently 9 months and weighs 59lbs. Enzymes have been ordered and I am hoping to receive them soon so we can get started on this journey to better poop :)

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 13 Sep 2018, 00:32

Welcome to the forum
I'm so glad your vet knew about EPI, so many don't.
I'm also glad you ordered enzymes from Diane. So much more affordable!
I would suggest you keep a log or journal to help you get things figured out, especially in the beginning it will be very helpful.
Ask questions as you have them, read all the info on this site. When we were first diagnosed, I read everything many times, just trying to take it all in. I know it probably doesn't feel like it right now, but it will just become part of a routine before too long.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 13 Sep 2018, 07:41

Welcome to our EPI family. EPI can seem so overwhelming at the beginning but it really does become routine in time. Don't hesitate to ask anything and everything. We welcome poop pictures also as it's a great way to see how your dog is responding.

I definitely recommend keeping a log as things can get confusing when you are trying to learn this "new normal".
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.