Low Albumin- please help

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mazzis

Low Albumin- please help

Post by mazzis » 12 Sep 2018, 00:53

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking for answers regarding low Albumin as a result of EPI and subsequent PLE. I have a 3.5 year old GSD, has always been skinny & overlooked EPI by vets until recently when he was tested positive. Now we are dealing with not only the EPI but PLE (Protein Loss in the blood) and subsequent low Albumin levels. He has recently had a (very costly) Albumin transfusion to no avail. Blood levels are still at 1.2 which is considered crisis mode. He is showing no signs of adema and has good energy. Because of the recent flare up of EPI, PLE AND high white blood count he is on a cocktail of antibiotics (Tylan, Baytril & Clavamox) & probiotics (Fortiflora). Additionally, we switched his food immediately to Royal Canin HP, plus Pancreatin enzymes. My question is this: Am I inadvertently hurting his GI tract by continuing the antibiotics? Or in his “crisis” case should we continue the antibiotics? Also, could the vets be mistaken the low Albumin level? They make it sound horrible if I don’t immediatly go get a Albumin transfusion but that is so expensive! I am running out of options and... money. I hate the thought of having to euthanize my dog because of lack of funds. I have already spent close to $8k just this weekend. I can’t stop crying. Any help is appreciated. Thank you..

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Low Albumin- please help

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2018, 05:12

hi there and welcome

its a very common, and a annnoying situation that EPI takes so long for vets to get a grip on

you have a lot going on there, and its out of my knowledge

however there might be someone in the team who can answer, Imessage to them have sent a message to them, but due to time differences just keep a look out, as I will

can you get an opinion from another vet

firstly, try not to think the worst, I am totally with you on this, my girl has liver issues, and DM, and I have cried rivers over her just recently,

i would be asking questions, and ask can you record the visit with the vet so you can read it later, maybe on your phone, we did this, and its frightening how much you dont hear when you are scared

can you give some info as to the enzymes you are giving, and how much, also as to how much food you are feeding, and how often

and what levels of albumin, and can you tell us what the vets are doing as a plan going forward

keep a journal write everything down

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 12 Sep 2018, 13:59

I hope I can offer a bit of help. We’ve all been in your shoes.
Marti had EPI /PLE at first. She was full of fluid. My vet was old school type, and felt tests would have been obvious, and anything invasive would be risky. She had enzymes, one antibiotic , and a lot of steroids. As the enzymes did their job, her body re-balanced itself and the PLE disappeared over the weeks. Sometimes epi affects the whole body condition because of the starvation. Think of concentration camp victims regaining normality. Epi causes the same starvation symptoms .
Young vets , like many doctors , feel compelled to test,test, test. Then give the magic cure. Epi is a slow, patient recovery. PLE can go away.
My vet, who had never treated a dog like mine before, read it up and took the approach of nursing her critical condition of PLE with the steroids, and letting the food with enzymes digest and nourish her. I don’t know your food, but at this point, anything low fibre, grain free is great.
B12 supplements made her like a puppy again.
If your dog is cheerful,mobile and eating with enzymes, I would urge you to be patient. What are all the antibiotics for? If there is obvious gut infection with rumbling and smelly farts, diarrhoea, then yes tylan is best and gentlest. The others can cause problems. Obviously if you see a deterioration, you to get this vet or another to explain better. They are often a bit inexperienced and over enthusiastic . Are you on pure B12 injections /capsules?
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 12 Sep 2018, 14:01

thanks Patsy

this was not in my thing at all

jeanx

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Judith
State: Delaware

Post by Judith » 13 Sep 2018, 09:52

Hi

Low albumin is usually caused by a number of things, PLE being one and Addison's disease being another. Nate suffered from low albumin for quite some time in late 2015 and then again in mid 2016. The first time it was treated with IV fluids and prednisolone. Adding the prednisolone was key in Nate's case to getting his albumin up. It turned out the real cause of his was Addison's disease. I would ask about trying prednisolone. It is cheap and has worked for many dogs

Hope things improve soon
Nate and Raymi's mom
Nate 4 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
EPI, typical Addison's disease and epilepsy
TLI 2.0 June 2016
Chemeyes enzyme capsules
Hydroxocobalamin injections weekly
0.5mg prednisolone daily for Addison's
Percorten-V/Zycortal injection every 28 days for Addison's
Zonisamide 2x for epilepsy

Raymi 6 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Allergic to chicken and turkey

Eats Canine Caviar Venison kibble 3x

Nate and Raymi happily live in Bogotá, Colombia and Dover, Delaware.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 13 Sep 2018, 10:22

thanks Judith

jx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 13 Sep 2018, 11:44

That’s interesting Judith.
Marti was on pred too, which is a streroid.
Hope this all helps, I wonder why your vet hasn’t started this.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.