New Member - Who's Lost

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
lucy_girl_gsd
State: North Carolina

New Member - Who's Lost

Post by lucy_girl_gsd » 14 Sep 2018, 16:42

I'm new to this. As a mom to children and pets (like is there a difference?) I've been researching this for weeks and finally stumbled across this website. Thank you for being here.

Our Lucy was diagnosed last Friday after a good 5 weeks of trying to figure out what was going on. She's lost quite a bit of weight and is down to 51 lbs. We started enzymes this Tuesday. Our vet told us that this is only he second case he's ever dealt with and its been a very long time. So any advice, or things I need to ask for, look for would be greatly appreciated.

A little about Lucy. She is an 8 month old, fun loving GSD. She hasn't skipped a beat and continues to be loving and sweet through it all.

Current Questions:
- What am I looking for in Dog Food - I'm currently using Nurlo - Limited Ingredient Salmon
- How are you wetting down the food. Currently we are using a spray bottle to squirt water over it. Should I be putting more water?
- Our first bottle of Enzymes from the Vet was $160 for 12 oz. Are there as effective enzymes that are less expensive?
- While training our GSD - I've been using treats to mark behavior. She looks for it now. How can I tell her no? I've found some limited ingredient treats that are GF - can I continue to mark good behavior?
- How do I know if I need to get her B12 shots?
- Ohhh and poop ... I have so many poop questions, but will save those for another day.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: New Member - Who's Lost

Post by Barb » 14 Sep 2018, 20:46

A very warm welcome to you and Lucy! We are so glad you found us. You are not lost. You just need some information and you will find plenty of it here. Many members here have been dealing with EPI on a daily basis for many years.

As long as your vet is willing to work with you and learn with you, then he is a keeper. Many vets do not have experience with EPI. You can download and print out any of the information you find here and share it with him.

First, take a breath. We all remember what it is like to be where you are. EPI is very manageable, but it feels overwhelming at first because you are learning many new things while you are worried about your pup. She is adorable.

There are four main elements to treat EPI: Enzymes, Food, B12, and Antibiotics, (if needed. )

If you can send us Lucy's TLI test results (numbers) it will help us to help you. B12 (cobalamin) and folate are probably included.

ENZYMES: YES! you can get enzymes at a reasonable cost. One of our members provides an excellent product (pancreatin) at very affordable prices. Many of us have been using her enzymes for years. You can go to her website enzymediane.com. She publishes her phone number so you can call and talk to her. She is wonderful to work with. (For that $160 I get almost a Kilo of enzymes.......which lasts us 3 and 1/2 months and Kolby is 85 pounds)

Food: We usually recommend a grain-free, low fiber food (4% or less) There is a list of food suggestions under the tab on our web page. As your pup has lost quite a bit of weight, you probably want to give her 150% of what she is now eating until she is back to her target weight.

B12: Most dogs have low B12 when they are first diagnosed. B12 is extremely important and can cause all kinds of symptoms if it is low. We usually recommend a protocol of B12 injections, once a week, for 6 weeks (the injections should be B12 only, not any of the complexes). Then maintenance with Wonderlabs pills with Intrinsic factor...we can talk to you later about this. Her B12 level should be on the test results.....listed as cobalamin.

ANTIBIOTICS: Many dogs have SID/SIBO when they are diagnosed and need an antibiotic to clear it up (symptoms are smelly stools, yellow color, cow patty stools, gurgling sounds in the tummy, etc) We recommend a 45 day regimen of tylosin, a mild antibiotic that works well for EPI.

FOOD/ENZYME PREPARATION: We usually have people start with 1 level teaspoon of powdered enzyme per cup of kibble. I dissolve the powder in a little warm water (Kolby gets two cups of kibble per meal, so I use about 1/4 cup of warm water, not hot)... then pour the enzyme/water mixture over the kibble and mix thoroughly. Let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Some dogs don't like the enzymes at first, some don't even notice. It all depends on the pup.

The best advice I received when Kolby was diagnosed 8 and 1/2 years ago was to keep a log/journal. Record everything you give Lucy, the amounts, and the resulting stools. This will tell you what is working and what isn't and will keep all your questions in one place. It saved our sanity. You can print a blank log form from the products tab above or just use a notebook.

Try not to feel too overwhelmed. There are many people here to help you through the beginning stage, which is the hardest time.

Oh.....and no treats for a while, until she is stable. I know this is hard. Some people use a toy or a ball as reward.

Ask as many questions as you have.

Welcome again.

Barb

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Sep 2018, 22:28

I just want to say Barb has given you great advice. Welcome to the forum and all questions are welcome.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Sep 2018, 04:29

wow

welcome from me in the UK

Barb has covered just about everything

the only thing I would add is the enzyme name she mentioned

https://enzymediane.com/

my good friend Pat who is a member once said

she was lost and EPI4DOGS gave her a map, I love that saying

as for weight

my girl at 5 months old when we got her was 44 pounds, at 14 months at time of diagnosis she waas 39 pounds, she was a skeleton, so please dont fret, the statement from a vet said "massively emaciated", cried all the way home

That was 2010

she is now 90 pounds

as to foods, grain free low fibre seems to work for most of them , and for some reason chicken doesnt seem to agree with them , and grain free usually includes rice

if you can, feed 150% of the recommendation on the food instructions, over small meals, if you can fit it into your busy life, all enzymed

treats are a no, no for now, a ball or whatever sometimes works, over here the police and prison service use a ball for reward for their dogs, we did the same, but look on the bright side, things will improve

the journal is a must , photos, measurements, whatever, is so important to a vet, who is learning with you

i am sure there is something I have forgotten, so ask away

Jean UK
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 15 Sep 2018, 11:14

I just wanted to add my welcome as well.
EPI is very overwhelming at first, but honestly it's just a part of our daily routine now, and will be for you too.
Holding treats (at least until stable) will turn out to be harder on you than your pup. They adapt pretty well to the new norm. Once your pup is stable, meaning good poops for 2-3 months, you can begin to experiment with treats. But I would hold for now. Anything given without enzymes can not be digested and could set you back on your road to stability.
I also encourage you to look into enzymediane.com she is about 1/3 the price and the enzymes are every bit as effective. In fact, she sources from the same places the big name brands do, but she has less overhead, less packaging etc so can offer them as a generic option. When I first discussed with my vet, he was reluctant for me to switch as he was not familiar. But we are now almost 5 years in and my girl is doing great. Honestly I would not have been able to afford to keep her without the cheaper option that Diane provides.....
Please continue to keep us updated and ask questions as you have them.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 15 Sep 2018, 11:37

Hi and welcome to our family!! As you can see it takes a village to raise these puppers, which by the way yours is ADORABLE!!! You've been given great advice from some of our most experienced members. The only thing I will add is that we recommend using the proper protocol of enzymes, food and B12 before trying antibiotics if you are dealing with SID. Sometimes just getting the right EPI protocol in place is enough for the gut to correct itself without antibiotics. If after two weeks the poops are still not right - depending on how "off" they are you can try Slippery Elm bark powder or you may have to go the antibiotic route.

As for poop - we are all about the poop here LOL. I found taking pictures helps as it's hard to remember exactly what the poop looked like 2 days ago when you're looking at so much poop LOL.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

lucy_girl_gsd
State: North Carolina

Post by lucy_girl_gsd » 16 Sep 2018, 13:28

Thank you everyone. Your responses and advice is very much appreciated.

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 19 Sep 2018, 07:05

I'm just jumping in here to say welcome. You have already received amazing advice up top.

EPI is scary and overwhelming at first. We've all been there so don't ever think that any question you have isn't worth asking. Questions are how we learn from each other.
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 20 Sep 2018, 09:13

Just wanted to say welcome to the group and Lucy is adorable. You have been given great advice. I dehydrate my girl's dog food after it has incubated with the enzymes and use that as treats. I sometimes buy grain free treats, soak them in enzymes and dehydrate those too. She does very well with them.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 20 Sep 2018, 14:40

A warm welcome to you and your girl Lucy. Friends in this forum advised you many good management of food, medicine and process. I have saved my girl by the cooperation and encouragement of all the friends over here. So we are all cheering you up to win your race.

Regards
Samir of Pinglu :D
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.