Help With My Dog's Diet

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
FranMac2
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Stella
My name: Fran

Re: Help With My Dog's Diet

Post by FranMac2 » 26 Mar 2022, 15:35

Oh - and Stella is about 75 Pounds - maybe a little bit less right now - she was always a very slender dog. About 80/85 pounds probably should be her ideal weight.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Mar 2022, 17:37

Hey, Fran. It's the cobalamin that tells you if her B12 is low. EPI dogs need to be above normal range ( sorry I have no idea why), and Stella's score of 484 is low. SO, yes, she needs B12 supplements. Tucker's last test was 666, and I still supplement him. This will make her feel better, too.

Here's the one many of us use

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php ... hwEALw_wcB

It's on sale, so I'm gonna order some right now. --- Pam

If you shop around you'll find deals on almost everything. I buy a kilo of enzymes at a time, and I feel like it probably lasts 6 weeks- two months. Everything can be found somewhere besides by prescription. I am lucky because my vet understands that with 5 dogs I can't give Tucker all the bells & whistles. Once she approves something, she gives me her blessing to go & find a cheaper option. Like most things, you just settle into it & it becomes the norm.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

FranMac2

Post by FranMac2 » 27 Mar 2022, 00:33

Thank you! I just ordered some of the B-12 you suggested and I also ordered Slippery Elm. I ordered the enzyme earlier today as well.
Just have to work on getting the dry food now.

Thank you again for your advice and help!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Mar 2022, 07:12

Keep asking & posting. Never feel bad about any questions you may have, because we have all been there. Something that works now may not work after awhile. There is a lot of trial & error. I have never gotten Tucker to have super firm poop, and he still goes many times each day, but I still try to figure it out! He has gone from 60 pounds (since six months old, always had ribs showing), to 80, though, so I know he's healthy. I just keep on tweaking , and I still have questions! --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

FranMac2

Post by FranMac2 » 27 Mar 2022, 18:48

Thanks again Pam! I am sure I will have many questions along the way!

FranMac2

Post by FranMac2 » 01 Apr 2022, 14:47

Hi All,

I have another question - I have the B12, Slippery elm bark and Enzyme Dianne and am getting the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream dry food to try. I also am getting the antibiotic to help with her digestive track. Does anyone have experience with the antibiotic? And how long have you given it to your dog? I wasn't going to use it at first but Enzyme Diane's pamphlet seems to encourage it. Also, is their any counter reaction with the antibiotic and the probiotic and enzyme?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Apr 2022, 18:53

Tylan is a 45 day course, two times a day.
Here is some information:
https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

FranMac2

Post by FranMac2 » 04 Apr 2022, 14:31

Thank you Jill! I appreciate your help! I just looked at the link a bit and read more about it. So much to learn!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Apr 2022, 17:14

Fran, the different meds interact fine. I have recently decided to give Tucker his Tylan in the A.M. and slippery elm in the evening, but he is just on a maintenance dose of Tylan. 1/16 teaspoon/day.

To get rid of SID, you'll need to give 1/4 teaspoon, twice a day (she weighs between 60-80, right?). 45 days, wean off slowly after 45th day.

Pam

FranMac2

Post by FranMac2 » 16 Apr 2022, 12:13

Thank you Pam,

I am using the Tylan for a couple of weeks now. I started her on the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and Enzyme Diane this week, and she is still getting the Proviable Probiotic. She still enjoys eating it which I was worried about the change with the new enzyme. I am going to do the 45 day course of Tylan and will take your suggestion on easing her off of it slowly. I definitely saw an improved reaction the past few days and just hope it gets better and better!
I have the B12 and Slippery Elm and will start that soon as well. Its a lot of products but as long as they are all helping her!