EPI without diarrhoea?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Hannahwilks219
Pet name: Harper
My name: Hannah

EPI without diarrhoea?

Post by Hannahwilks219 » 26 Apr 2022, 15:54

Hi,
My 14 month old female flat coated retriever has been losing weight for months (22kg should be 27kg), has developed bloating after meals (abdomen visibly swells, burping, and putting head down) and intermittent vomiting (i.e when she eats more than 90g of her food at one time). Other than this, she is well in herself with appetite and energy. Parasites and blood work already done, coming back clear, she has also been on antibiotics and a hypoallergenic diet. Her symptoms fit those of EPI but her stools have been normal over this time, and I have been told diarrhoea/cow pat stools is characteristic of EPI. Is it likely that it would be EPI despite not having this symptom? We are working with our great vet but very lost as to what the problem is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, particularly whether any dogs have been diagnosed and successfully treated with EPI without the diarrhoea symptom.
thanks,
Hannah
Last edited by Hannahwilks219 on 26 Apr 2022, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

Hannahwilks219

Re: EPI without diarrhoea?

Post by Hannahwilks219 » 26 Apr 2022, 16:07

Extra point - She is completely ravenous all the time - she is getting her daily allowance, split into 4 meals and is still constantly looking for food i.e licking the kitchen floor and trying to eat sticks - she also tries to eat poo any chance she can get!!!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Apr 2022, 17:46

Welcome to the forum Hannah!

There is a time where a dog may be segueing into EPI. Tucker always had bad habits, but it was when the intense yellow diarrhea, which he pawed at the door to get outside & eat---laced with dirt & dry leaves---it was at this time when I stopped listening to my vet who said his ribs showing since 6 months old, was OK. I was lucky to read a story about a GSD rescue who was skinny because she had EPI. I did my research & my vet agreed.

Here's a very comprehensive video, if you have time to watch---

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... -dogs.aspx

If I were you, I'd ask my vet to run the blood test. It's expensive over here in the States, so it's up to you. I'm sure some staff members will also respond soon, and they may have different advice, so please keep checking for responses.

---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Hannahwilks219

Post by Hannahwilks219 » 27 Apr 2022, 09:15

Hi Pam and Tucker!

Thanks for sharing your story, I am definitely leaning towards just getting the TLI blood test done, and if it comes back ok then at least it is something else ruled out. I can't bear the thought she is having to suffer longer if theres a test which could confirm her issue, and go on to make her better.

Thanks for your help,
Hannah and Harper

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Apr 2022, 20:49

Someone more knowledgeable than me will jump in here soon.

I do know that there have been times when a dog tests negative because he's just not there yet, but is on his way. I believe advice has been given to start on enzymes and see what happens. There have been other times when all things pointed to EPI, and it turned out not to be.

I would probably start her on B12 & slippery elm. But again, I am not a pro.

The burping, throwing up, bloating sound a bit like SID, which can be helped by giving the slippery elm. More about SID here---
https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/

Hang in there----Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

DocX
State: Massachusetts
Pet name: Mina
My name: Doc

Post by DocX » 28 Apr 2022, 08:19

Hi Hannah,

I'm going to start with the disclaimer 'I'm a doc of science, not veterinary medicine' so I'm not qualified to give veterinary advice, but I will share a couple of thoughts about my experience as a dog owner.

My EPI dog started showing some GI symptoms about nine months before she got very sick & we diagnosed her. For almost that entire time, her poop was a bit softer than other dog, but not remarkably so, although I suspect TLI was slowly dropping the entire time. We never tested TLI early because she responded so well to metronidazole. She has always burped a lot and been prone to nausea, but never bloats after meals, and rarely pukes. Also, not all dogs present with EPI the same. For example, I had a really hard time getting mine to eat anything.

My IBD dog was a severe case. Some important things I learned from her are 'hypoallergenic food is a really important tool, but it can't completely control IBD in all dogs', 'dogs with small bowel problems tend to feel pretty sorry for themselves', 'dogs with colonic problems tend to feel much less sorry for themselves'.

My third dog is healthy, but an important thing I learned from him is 'young dogs are prone to making very poor life decisions about eating things.' (Actually, all three of mine have done that).

Has your vet ruled out a foreign body? Puking and bloating after meals sounds like a possible motility problem or partial block. Dog #3 once ate part of a cell phone wallet that was too big to vomit back up or pass from stomach into small intestine so the vet had to fish it out with an endoscope. He really didn't feel at all sorry for himself, was happy about eating, but puked afterwards. Is there any difference in amount you can feed between soft / canned vs kibble?

If your vet is sure your dog is not obstructed, there are several different drugs that might help with vomiting. In my experience, all of them are pretty good for vomiting, but if a dog is feeling really sick, sometimes they still won't want to eat. Cerenia is probably the best because it both shuts off vomiting and helps with gut pain, but it is expensive and not usually given for more than a few days. Metaclopramide is inexpensive & promotes motility. Ondansetron (zofran) prevents vomiting but my understanding is it doesn't help much with dog nausea. This is not a complete list of dog anti-emetics.

So in summary: You can't rule out EPI without the TLI (but doing it might give you peace of mind, or an answer). You can't rule out IBD without an endoscopy ( the hypoallergenic food is a really good idea). If your vet has ruled out GI blockage, there are a lot of drugs that might help with puking & make you both happier.

I wish you all the best in figuring out what is up with your dog. It is so hard to see them vomiting and losing weight and not knowing how to help.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Apr 2022, 17:14

thanks MIna's Doc.... some good suggestions.... and i especially liked your comment " young dogs are prone to making very poor life decisions about eating things.' oh how very true!!!!!!!!!!

So...... the possibility of an EPI dog not having loose stools..... YES!!!!!!!!!!! This can and does happen although not very typical, since the most common symptom of EPI is loose cow patty-like stools that are pale/pasty looking in color......but not every single EPI dog will display with this... We have had just a few cases where the dog never had loose stools, a couple of cases where the dog didn't lose weight and just a small handful where the dog did not have a voracious appetite....

My suggestion is if there are other EPI symptoms, then i would (if possible) go ahead and just have the TLI test done. At least that way you will know once and for all if you are dealing with EPI. If not, then you know to pursue other possibilities.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Hannahwilks219

Post by Hannahwilks219 » 03 May 2022, 06:28

Thank you for your advice @DocX and @Olesia711, our vet says endoscopy is the next stage, and we will likely do a GLI test as well, to rule it out. Harper is definitely in the 'young dogs are prone to making very poor life decisions about eating things.' club!!!!

All the best for you and you dogs,

Hannah

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 May 2022, 10:27

Hi Hannah,

You are very welcome. And it sounds like you have a good vet! Please do keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........