Pan-tenex enzyme

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
flukes97

Pan-tenex enzyme

Post by flukes97 » 05 May 2022, 12:24

Hi everyone,

I've been giving my dog an enzyme called Pan-tenex. I couldn't afford the prx given by our vet so I looked into less expensive alternatives. I discovered Pan-tenex and it seemed to be working, i.e. Coal was putting on some weight. I've had him on it for a couple of months now and I've had to play around with the amounts but he seems to be losing weight again. Can too much powder do more harm? I've been giving him 2 teaspoons and one of the other vets (the vet that diagnosed him retired last week) told me yesterday to give him more powder or more food. I already feed him 4 cups a day. Coal is a 2 year old pit bull. Has anyone used Pan-tenex? I know there are non prx enzyme powders but they're still expensive. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Cheryl

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Pan-tenex enzyme

Post by Jean » 05 May 2022, 12:48

Hi Cheryl,

I am from the UK so I will let the others your side of the pond talk about the enzyme you are using

the rule of thumb is 1 level teaspoon of powdered enzyme to a cup of kibble which is 8 ounces, too much enzyme is as bad as not enough

the enzyme most US folk use is Enzyme Diane

https://enzymediane.com/

can you give us maybe a run down on the routine you use daily and whether you supplement B12 , and whgat food are you feeding

thanks
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

flukes97

Post by flukes97 » 05 May 2022, 13:06

Hi Jean,

Right now, I have him on Purina Pro Plan Weight Management dry dog food. He was on prx GI food but the vet said that wasn't necessary; that I can give him a decent OTC dog food. We give him 2 teaspoons of the Pan-tenex powder mixed with a 1/4 cup of wet food (Purina One) along with 2 cups of dry, twice daily. I didn't know B12 supplements were necessary but the vet said it will definitely help. So he has not been taking B12. However, last night and this morning, he was given the same amount of food but with only 1.5 teaspoons of the powder because it seems like he's been getting worse with 2 teaspoons. My husband doesn't think he needs more food so that's why I decided to decrease the powder. I thought we should change one thing at a time. This is just getting so costly for us. We also have a 9 year old dog on prx dog food.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 05 May 2022, 16:14

I have no idea what a Pit Bull weighs , the b12 which is widely used is this one

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

b12 is essential for an EPI dog

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-in-brief-2/
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 07 May 2022, 07:16

Hi Cheryl,

I've been using Pan-Tenex for a few years now, switched over cold from Viokase. We use 1tsp and Nikki gets 1 can & 1/2 cup of kibble per meal. Nikki could stand to lose a few pounds 😳

There are many owners that use Pan-Tenex without issues. Besides supplementing for B12 does Coal show any signs of SID/SIBO? https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 May 2022, 07:55

Hi Cheryl. I'm still giving Tucker https://enzymediane.com/shop/ . Though she had to raise her prices last winter, due to her own expenses skyrocketing, her product is sound & Diane is easy to work with. Actually, she is something of a celebrity around here, and it is worth comparing her to any other product.

I am wondering why Coal is eating weight control kibble, since we are typically trying to keep our dogs' weight up. Did Coal become overweight, ie, is he a chunky monkey? --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 May 2022, 19:12

Hi, Cheryl
I also would recommend Enzyme Diane's enzymes. She has an excellent product and is wonderful to work with.

I'm also wondering about the weight management food. The thinking has changed with regard to EPI and Low Fat. It is now recommended that EPI dogs have low fiber, but not necessarily low fat unless there is another reason..

Most dogs have low B12 at diagnosis and we strongly suggest supplementing with B12. You can get B12 with Intrinsic Factor (Pet Factor)from Wonderlabs at reasonable cost. The Intrinsic factor is necessary for absorption.

The beginning stage is the hardest because you are trying to get everything in balance and are worrying about your pup. Try not to get discouraged. We have all been where you are. Once you find the right food and get the enzymes and B12 levels balanced, it will get easier.

I also highly recommend keeping a log/journal. It saved our sanity. Record everything you give each day and the amounts and the resulting poos. This helps you to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted.

Barb