New, sorting it out, curious about CBD oil

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
ed7385
State: Texas

Re: New, sorting it out, curious about CBD oil

Post by ed7385 » 02 Oct 2018, 19:39

Argh. So many factors and things to consider with this! Just when I think I have it about figured out...

Her current kibble is 4% fiber and free of corn, wheat soy and gluten. The itching is minor... no raw spots or anything. So I'm going to keep my eye on it and see.

Wish I could show you guys the video of her working on being 'good' while we wait for food. She's coming along, but we're still working on resource guarding. She's doing SO well on walks, she still responds to other dogs but will listen to me.

Oh, and I started a small amount of hemp oil. That's the change this week. So we will see if that makes any difference?
Roxanne, foster dog extraordinaire, GSD/malinois mix (Lord help me with the high energy)
Diagnosed 6/18, new to foster home 9/18 and let the treatment begin
PancreaPowder Plus 2tsp, 3x/day mixed with 2 cups Victor, weekly b12 injections, metronidazole

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Oct 2018, 12:22

good luck with the hemp oil- -please let us know if it does or doesn't help with the reactiveness.

I too was thinking along the same lines as Madelon, that the "itching" in this case could be food sensitivity related. BUT..... if the poos are good... i would stick with what you are doing.... for now....(unless the itching is out of control or getting out of control) wait till you have had good consistent poos for a reasonable amount of time.... and then i would make/keep a list of ALL the ingredients in the food that is working.... and try to "proof" each ingredient individually.... to see if you can identify the trigger....OR.... if you want to simplify this..... just the run Dr. Jean Dodd's Nutriscan test ..... located on this page:
https://epi4dogs.com/ibd-allergies/ (lots of good info/research on this page)
and the actual Nutriscan link is: https://www.nutriscan.org/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

ed7385

Post by ed7385 » 03 Oct 2018, 16:51

Ok, just ran to the vet for a weight check...

Y'ALL. I"M SO EXCITED. She gained 5lbs in the last 1.5 weeks!! We're up to 60lbs, which is still really slim but YAY!
Roxanne, foster dog extraordinaire, GSD/malinois mix (Lord help me with the high energy)
PancreaPowder Plus 2tsp, 3x/day mixed with 2 cups Victor, weekly b12 injections, metronidazole

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Oct 2018, 18:12

Congratulations on the weight gain!! WAHOOOO. It's such a relief to see the scale going up instead of down.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 18:54

That is FANTASTIC!!!!! Congrats on the weight gain :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Oct 2018, 18:59

Okay... i just got to share..... earlier in this thread we were discussing vinegar as an acid destroys pancreatic replacement enzymes and although i couldn't find the answer to what i was looking for, i learned that a little dab of vinegar add to the pot of pasta will keep the pasta from sticking.... OMG.... it WORKS!!!!!!!!!

We had pasta tonight and i tried this and after i drained the noodles i purposely did not rinse them, just drained and waited a bit... and none of the pasta/noodles stuck to each other.

Just never know what interesting information will pop up on this forum!!!!!!!

ed7385

Post by ed7385 » 08 Oct 2018, 17:22

I love this and I'm totally trying the vinegar next time!

I already add a tad to the water when I hard boil eggs. My husband thinks I'm special because they're easy to peel. HA!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Oct 2018, 22:39

i drop my eggs cold right from the frig into boiling water with baking soda...... same thing, it's a chemical reaction to the coating the chickens sheath the eggs with and makes the shells easy peasy to peel....... (we used to live on a little farm with free range chickens.... the local old timers taught me how to do this.) But you are the 2nd person today that mentioned doing hard boiled eggs with vinegar in the water....so... i am going to try that next. THanks!

ed7385

Post by ed7385 » 09 Oct 2018, 09:10

Hmm... acid vs base... I'm feeling like my kids should do an experiment with hard boiled eggs and see which peels easier! LOL

So Roxanne whimpered when I went to give her the injection yesterday and I wimped out! I'm going to have to have a kid distract her because I'm too much of a sucker for a whimpering dog.

And I started the hemp oil. It's going to be hard to say if it's her settling in and getting healthier or it's that. So I may have to stop for a bit and see if I noticed changes.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Oct 2018, 09:30

i am a big weenie when it comes to giving shots... but my gal also developed diabetes, so i have to give her insulin shots.
What i do is "tent" the skin first and then give the shot. Maybe call your vet and ask if you can "tent" the skin for B12 shots too? They don't feel the needle when done this way.

The other thing that comes to mind is.... are you giving a B12 shot that is B12 complex (has vitamins in it??) if so... this is the wrong B12 serum (not potent enough) AND it stings the dogs..... and many yelp..... might want to double check that you have the right stuff.

OR..... you can talk to your vet and let him/her know that you are having the hibbie jeevies giving the B12 shots and instead are going to try the oral B12 https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688
This is what a lot of us use and have had excellent results. You can also purchase this product from Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/WonderLabs-Vitam ... factor+B12