Do I need to give b12's to my dog?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Mavis2021
Pet name: Mavis
My name: Eden

Do I need to give b12's to my dog?

Post by Mavis2021 » 13 May 2022, 14:07

My dog is a one year old german shepherd, her b12's were good with the bloodwork. I bought b12s for her anyway because I heard a lot of epi dogs need extra b12s. Is it okay to give them to her?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Do I need to give b12's to my dog?

Post by jilbert57 » 13 May 2022, 14:23

Hi Eden. Will you post your dogs test results? The B12 needs to be kept upper high range so 600 and higher. Extra B12 is excreted in the urine. Please post what B12 you have. Thanks.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 May 2022, 08:28

Tucker's B12 was 666, and a staff member said to supplement him anyway, and that he would tinkle out whatever he didn't need. It's not a great expense. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 20 May 2022, 04:39

Their b12 (cobalamin) can plummet over night, so I would definitely supplement and if there is ANY SID Small Intestinal Dysbiosis, it will deplete any b12 they store, as the bugs will feast on it
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

RoseHeathcote
State: Louisiana
Pet name: mic

Post by RoseHeathcote » 11 Jul 2022, 02:51

Supplementing with b12 is quite necessary, but it is necessary to consult a doctor. gartic phone

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Jul 2022, 10:48

With an EPI dog, it is not necessary to consult a vet before giving B12 since over 80% of ALL dogs with EPI have insufficient B12 levels... and if it is not needed the dog will just pee out any excess..

Unfortunately not all vets are aware of this and don't even mention it to EPI pet owners.... so it is something we NEED to always be aware of and make sure our dogs have enough B12, AND make sure our vets are aware that EPI dogs B12 levels NEED to be in the upper mid-range ..... just in range is not good enough.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Jul 2022, 17:23

Yes, I remember Kolby's appetite and weight did not increase until we got his B12 levels up. Then he began to thrive.

Barb

louisamurray19
Pet name: Belle, Rory
My name: Louisa

Post by louisamurray19 » 16 Jul 2022, 21:21

Our pup has just been diagnosed with EPI and my vet has said I need to give our Corgi B12 injections once a week for 6 weeks and then every other week for 6 weeks, then retest. However, I would prefer to use the Wonderlab methlcobalamin formula capsules. Those are 1000mg/capsule. How do I know what the capsule equivalent would be and how often, vs the injection that would be only once a week?
TIA
Belle is our 7 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi who was recently diagnosed with EPI. Once we got a diagnosis and started treatment she is doing great. She is on Viokase-V enzymes, 1/2 tsp per 1/2 cup of food twice a day. She gets a capsule of Wonderlabs Pet Factor B-12 with Intrinsic Factor every day. Belle also has some other autoimmune disorders, but over all, she is a healthy, energetic girl who has her hands full managing mom and dad, her 6 year old Corgi cousin, a 10 year old Dowager Bichon and an 11 month old Corgi pup.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Jul 2022, 08:53

Hi Louisa, I started a thread for you and Belle titled" B12 question".

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

louisamurray19
Pet name: Belle, Rory
My name: Louisa

Post by louisamurray19 » 17 Jul 2022, 13:52

Thank you. I could not find anywhere to click on New Post. Didn’t know if it was just a timing thing with my acceptance being pending or brand new. Thanks again!!
Belle is our 7 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi who was recently diagnosed with EPI. Once we got a diagnosis and started treatment she is doing great. She is on Viokase-V enzymes, 1/2 tsp per 1/2 cup of food twice a day. She gets a capsule of Wonderlabs Pet Factor B-12 with Intrinsic Factor every day. Belle also has some other autoimmune disorders, but over all, she is a healthy, energetic girl who has her hands full managing mom and dad, her 6 year old Corgi cousin, a 10 year old Dowager Bichon and an 11 month old Corgi pup.