We seem to be back to ground zero on controlling diarrhea

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
sfeigenbaum
State: Missouri
Pet name: Daphne
My name: Susan

We seem to be back to ground zero on controlling diarrhea

Post by sfeigenbaum » 25 May 2022, 19:42

Hi! Our 18 month old cairn terrier was diagnosed with EPI about 3 months ago. We started on a low fiber, low fat kibble and canned food - Purina EN - and an enzyme that our vet gave us that worked for one of his other clients with a German Shepherd with EPI. It didn't work - still constant diarrhea so we switched to Enzyme Diane. We gave the dog 1 tsp mixed with some of the canned food and kibble, a little warm water, let it sit 20 minutes. Within 3 days her poop was sufficiently solid - certainly not explosive - that we thought we had things beat. Last week our groomer noticed very inflamed gums so we tried to cut back the enzyme to 1/2 tsp...probably for about 3-4 meals (we feed her twice daily). Back to the original explosive diarrhea. We are now back on the 1 tsp - for the past 7 meals and she is still having explosive diarrhea. Is this just something that's going to take time or what would anyone suggest? She is getting B12 shots weekly. She did get her Simpatico Trio flea/tick medicine around the time this all started - first time we've given it to her since everything started in January. Any thoughts on what to do? So grateful for any advice you can give!!!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: We seem to be back to ground zero on controlling diarrhea

Post by Olesia711 » 25 May 2022, 20:00

are you giving 1 level tsp of the enzymes per 1 cup of food.... moistened ? The enzymes are rather caustic and will cause mouth sores in dome dogs that are sensitive....this is wy we add water of something liquid just enough to moisten the food for the enzymes to stick to. .... If you are already moistening the food... and the mouth sores STILL happened, then either add a spoonful more of water and/ or let the food incubate a little longer, like 30 to 40 minutes... either should help.

REgarding the explosive diarrhea, this may happen when
(1) not enough enzymes are given (go with the 1:1 ratio) or.....
(2) this will happen if SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) has gotten out of control. ALL dogs with EPI have SID to one degree or another.... our goal is to keep it in good control.
(3) or it could be that the food simply does NOT agree with your dog... or he got into something and has some kind of "bug"

Many times once the dog is started on the enzymes, all "appears" well for a few weeks and then WHAMO... the loose stools return like a nightmare! THis is not that the enzymes stopped working, but rather that SID is out of control... Typically we suggest a Prebiotic and if that doesn't work, then try a Pre+Probiotic, and if that doesn't work, then talk to your vet about starting a course of Tylan antibiotics (NOT Metronidazole!)....Tylan needs to be given with breakfast & dinner for 45 days.

IN your situation, i would ask the vet for Tylan....and if that doesn't work... then i would look at the food being the culprit.... however..... 9 times out of 10, it is usually SID.......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: We seem to be back to ground zero on controlling diarrhea

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 May 2022, 20:17

Susan, Tucker gets a sore mouth from the enzymes, but since he can't live without them, I do a couple of different things to help him.

I either wet a paper towel with water, really wet, and wipe his gums & snout after a meal. Or, sometimes I rub vaseline or aquafor around his snout before a meal. This one wouldn't help his gums, though. Some people use a squirt bottle to get water on the gums after a meal, but I can't control Tuck's head well enough. Maybe one of these tricks will help. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.